FORUMS: list search recent posts

filming video for woman singer, she wants me to make her look thinner

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Hall
filming video for woman singer, she wants me to make her look thinner
on Aug 4, 2011 at 9:41:19 am

I was just wondering if there's some easy cheap way to affect the width of a video just slightly. We're going to be doing a close up of her face singing and it's pretty but just needs a little less width or something, she's insisting. I use Windows Movie Maker mostly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: filming video for woman singer, she wants me to make her look thinner
on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:24:58 pm

[Fred Hall] "We're going to be doing a close up of her face singing and it's pretty but just needs a little less width or something, she's insisting. "

Do you have a magic wand like Harry Potter? Didn't think so.

The simplest thing would be to play with the shot's horizontal scale. This will cause the vertical edges of the shot to contract from the vertical edges of the comp.

You can then nest this comp in a new one and apply Mesh warp to bring the edges back out. Be careful using these techniques; you don't want to overdo it.

Any other technique I might suggest would be so time-consuming and so over your head -- you DO cut on Windows Movie Maker, after all -- that it's just not worth mentioning.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 4, 2011 at 4:08:27 pm

I should also add that you can't pull this trick off if you shoot the singer too tightly. You need space on either side of her head so you have something to stretch back to fill the screen.

If you don't get a head shot only, but are going after a head & shoulders shot, the same thing applies: leave space on either side of the shoulders. If you don't, your singer will have rugby player's shoulders after you use this trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Fred Hall
on Aug 4, 2011 at 4:11:17 pm

Thanks for responding, Dave, much appreciated! Can you provide me a basic idea how to play with the shot's horizontal scale ? Can it be done on Windows Movie Maker or is there software I need (preferably available for free)? If I do that will the frame be smaller and make it evident I did so even if the adjustment is only like 5% ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 4, 2011 at 4:30:49 pm

[Fred Hall] "Can you provide me a basic idea how to play with the shot's horizontal scale ? Can it be done on Windows Movie Maker or is there software I need (preferably available for free)?"

In AE, you unlink the horizontal & vertical scales, then scrub the horizontal value.

As for the rest, I have no clue. This is, after all, an After Effects forum.

I edit in Final Cut Pro, and I use After Effects. I've never even SEEN Windows movie maker, and I have no knowledge of freebie apps: I don't need 'em -- I have AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 4, 2011 at 5:54:38 pm

I touched Windows MovieMaker once because some bizarre codec on security camera footage wouldn't open in AE, but it would in MovieMaker...

I highly doubt there's any way to do what you're asking for in MovieMaker.
As far as other software goes, do you HAVE After Effects? If so, great; do what Dave said (and, if you're shooting on greenscreen, you can skip the warping part).
If you don't have After Effects, why are you posting in an After Effects forum?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Fred Hall
on Aug 4, 2011 at 6:53:20 pm

well I was pursuing the proper effects which led me to After Effects. I can get a 6 month free version online, so that's doable. Can somebody describe to me or guide me to a tutorial on the second part mentioned where you use mesh warp ?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 4, 2011 at 7:30:28 pm

Mesh Warp info [link]

I should warn you though. AE is probably like nothing you've experienced before. It is a very wide and deep program. It is a professional program. It is very, very powerful. This means it is not easy to just pick up and use. People like Dave and I have spent years learning and earning our skills and are still picking up new techniques every day. You won't be able to just jump into AE and start figuring things out. You will need to start with learning the very basics. This free resource should help: [link] Take a few days and go through all of the resources there and make sure you've got all of the concepts before you proceed.

If it seems too hard for you, you should hire somebody who knows After Effects to help on this project. If the lady objects to the added cost, tell her to lose a few pounds in real life or she will have to cough up the dough. (Actually, if she had less dough in the first place we wouldn't have this problem! LOL)

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

SPACE MAN
on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:07:13 am

SPACEMAN thinks Fred may have problems.
Freds' subject will need to be flat to camera as any
quarter turns will abstract subjects' face.

SPACEMAN suggests Fred spends many days playing with
After Effects.

SPACEMAN suggests Fred to tell subject that she looks beautiful
without digital enhancement.

SPACEMAN loves Dave and Michael.

SPACEMAN needs spaceship parts, not expressions...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:53:34 pm

She could do what most female singers do before a music video shoot and go on a crash diet for a week then, before the shoot, get one of those herbal steam wrap things that suck all the water weight out of you. It could help.

But, as usual, SPACEMAN offers grand advice. Tell her she looks beautiful as she is. :)

I love you too, SPACEMAN. Every post from you is a joy.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
on Aug 6, 2011 at 9:46:18 am

You could use the Liquify filter. It works exactly the same as the Liquify filter in Photoshop. A google search would probably find plenty of tutorials. If your singer is moving around, you'd probably have to keyframe the position to follow her. Start with the center on a specific point (say, the nose), and when the nose changes position just move the point along with it and set another keyframe. Rinse and repeat.

To see tutorials, articles, tips, free stuff, and more visit my post-production blog at http://thekellzone.com

Return to posts index

Fred Hall
on Aug 6, 2011 at 2:48:26 pm

thanks, will see what I can do with these ideas and come back if I need more help. :)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 6, 2011 at 5:39:21 pm

I'm on my iPhone at the moment, so it'd be a bit difficult to find and link this for you, but find VideoCopilot.net's Demon Face Warp tutorial if you want to do the liquify thing. It helps you track it properly.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]