FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting effect... how is it done?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vali hora
Interesting effect... how is it done?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:35:14 pm

Hello everybody... wanted to ask if the effect you can see in this video

can be made in AE... is there a plug-in that can create this kind of image? It's like the video is being projected on a wooden surface... maybe a skilled AE user can help with some information. Thank you.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Interesting effect... how is it done?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:15:15 pm

I didn't watch the whole thing, but didn't see anything that can't be done in AE (read: you'll get better answers if you refer to specific times, rather than expect folks to watch a whole video, and if you are more specific with your questions).

If you're referring to the main portions of the video (vs. one particular scene or another), it's just "film effects" and a texture applied to the video image.

There are very many ways to achieve film effects, but it basically boils down to adding projector flicker and film imperfections (dirt, hair, grain, etc.) ... there are tons of plugins nowadays that do all that for you in a few clicks, but it can also be done with AE's built-in tools.

As far as the texture, there are also a number of ways to achieve that look. You could make a texture of your choice in PS (or in AE if you prefer) and use it with AE's Texturize filter. You could also put your texture above or below the video layer and use a blend mode of your choice to get the look you like best.

I hope that helps.

Return to posts index

vali hora
on Jul 23, 2011 at 12:48:19 pm

Hello, thanks for the quick help. I already tried with a texture and screen or multiply blending before posting my message... didn't look quite like in the video. After reading your message, I tried with the Texturize from AE, and it's much better. In fact, I think that's what they did in the video. I also used the Posterize Time effect, lowering the frame rate... it's good now. Thanks for your help, David, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 23, 2011 at 4:47:00 pm

Glad to help, Vali.

I haven't used Texturize in a while, but if I recall correctly, it also adds a bevel to the edges of the frame ... if that's the case, you may have to slightly scale or crop the frame to get rid of that.

Getting the look you want with the blend mode method often requires trying a number of different modes and adding filters to compensate for undesired changes (i.e., levels, brightness/contrast, etc.).

Return to posts index

vali hora
on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:29:32 am

No bevel on the edges... maybe the effect is slightly different for the earlier versions of AE. About the blending modes, didn't try to add some filters... I'll try that also. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]