FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upper or Lower Field first

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zeke meginsky
Upper or Lower Field first
on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:58:45 am

Which field first, if I'm exporting an Animation into a ProRes sequence? What determines which field I should use? Does it matter? It's ending up on a DVD (probably not an HDVD).

I've been afraid of using lower field first because that's associated with DV footage, and I heard the DV codec wrecks your animations, so I've kind of extended that train of thought into the lower field order, but is that a wrong way of thinking about it? I want my animations to look as high quality as possible, even if the DV footage doesn't (nothing can be done about that).

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Upper or Lower Field first
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:16:21 pm

first, field order has nothing to do with quality or compression or anything like that, so you don't have to be concerded about that.

ntsc sd is usually (almost always) lower field first -- for your dvd, you'd want to render lower field first.

dv (if interlaced) is always lower field first.

1080 (if interlaced) is always upper field first.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

zeke meginsky
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:42:18 pm

Okay. Thanks so much, I get it now. I was concerned about field orders today so I posted two different field order questions, one on FCP forum and the other here, haha. I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:54:18 pm

one other thing, by default ae will render progressive.

if you wanted to render with fields from ae, you'd need to set that in the render settings.

from the render queue, you'd click the render settings, then in those settings find 'field render' and set it to the field order you need.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]