FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there any way to restrict the selection tool to only 1 axis when moving a 2D object?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Freddie Hill
Is there any way to restrict the selection tool to only 1 axis when moving a 2D object?
on May 27, 2011 at 5:53:26 pm

Hello, is there any way to get the selection tool to restrict movement to only moving 1 axis at a time? (if you are moving a 2d object)
As in if I wanted to move the position of a 2d circle to the right but didn't want to change the position of it on the Y axis.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Is there any way to restrict the selection tool to only 1 axis when moving a 2D object?
on May 27, 2011 at 6:01:58 pm

start dragging the layer, then hold shift to constrain the movement to horizontal or vertical.

or drag the x or y position value for the layer in the timeline

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is there any way to restrict the selection tool to only 1 axis when moving a 2D object?
on May 27, 2011 at 6:03:53 pm

Sure:
  • shift-move the layer in the comp window, which constrains it to horizontal or vertical
  • scrub the x or y position values
  • use the cursor-up/down or left/right keys; multiply the move by a factor of ten by holding the shift key.

You'll find all the information here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Plus other exciting -- and necessary -- tidbits of AE knowledge.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
on May 31, 2011 at 11:23:38 am

Another way would be using an expression> alt click the stopwatch for position and write in the field
[value[0],460]

the first part value[0] means it will use the value of the 1st dimension, and the second part will be the Y value, in this case 460. Change this to the value you want. In this case the object will be locked in Y at 460 pixels while you can move it in X

I occasionally use this for locking a layer in postion, writing its center position. That way I won't accidently move it while I can still change its opacity or scale.

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]