FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wire removal with moving camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cosgrove
Wire removal with moving camera
on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:22:42 am

Hello,
I'm going to shooting a film involving wirework.
One actor will be raised up on wires, but the camera will be moving (sideways while panning up in one shot; just panning up in another; and rotating while looking down in a third) to keep the actor in shot.
I know that cloning out the wires in each frame is an option, but could clean (wireless) reference shots that could be used with a mask be a quicker and more effective option?
The filming is going to be done on location, not in a green screen studio.
I don't know After Effects at all. I just need some guidance in case I have to budget for a motion controlled camera set up.
Thanks.
- Richard

--
Richard Cosgrove
Writer/Director

http://www.richardcosgrove.co.uk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Wire removal with moving camera
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:42:53 pm

Sir, to avoid problems in post, you really, REALLY, REALLY need to contact someone in your area that does effects work.

This is NOT something you can learn on the job. There is so much that depends on the storyboards in this kind of situation that it's impossible to give a newcomer step-by-step instructions in a post or even many posts.

You may think that by doing it yourself, you can save some money. If you choose this course, you'll end up spending so much MORE money that it'll make your head spin. Get an effects person involved in the production RIGHT NOW.

That's my best advice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Cosgrove
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:25:27 pm

Thanks.

- Richard

--
Richard Cosgrove
Writer/Director

http://www.richardcosgrove.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:00:40 pm

I agree with Dave that you should get someone local involved with you if at all possible.

To give a quick answer for your questions though:
A motion control rig would make things much easier. You could get a clean plate with which to cover the wires.
Without a clean plate, depending on how thick the wires will be appearing in the shots and what the background looks like, you might be able to use the CC WIre Removal tool that comes with AE. It does a surprisingly good job on some shots, but it's terrible on others.
Alternatively, you might be able to grab a clean shot of a bit of background and motion track it into the scene to cover the wires(depending on the camera movement).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]