FORUMS: list search recent posts

Composition & Preset settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cecilia ruiz-smith
Composition & Preset settings
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:08:47 pm

I apologize for my question but I'm a real newbie: I'm creating a very short piece that will be burned to a DVD and then shown on an LG 32LG40 HDTV 720 HD Resolution LCD tv Monitor. My question is which preset would be the most appropriate and will deliver a clean sharp image for this particular device? Also, I'm not sure what to select in the pixel aspect ratio box: square or rectangle pixels?
What's the minimum resolution for a still image before it begins to soften.

I apologize for my questions and for taking up your time but I work for a non-profit that can't afford to hire a professional. And since I am a graphic designer/web developer they asked me to put together a very simple 1-2 minute movie with still photographs because they know I have some experience with timeline production using Flash. They don't realize that AE & Premiere are far more sophisticated and require some knowledge with various output formats. Can someone please advise me? Thank you so very much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Composition & Preset settings
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:28:23 pm

The limiting factor will be the resolution of the playback device. You'll be using a DVD player.

DVD resolution in NTSC countries is 720x480 at 29.97 frames/sec.
DVD resolution in PAL countries is 720x576 at 25 frames/sec.

Since this is an HD monitor, it will be 16x9 screen aspect ratio. In AE, I would use the appropriate comp preset for for my country: PAL DV Widescreen or NTSC DV Widescreen.

You'll need to learn about the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch, located at the bottom of the comp window; it looks like an arrow with two heads. Switched on way, you see 16x9, but it looks jagged. Switched the other way, you see 4x3, but it's smooth. Rest assured it renders smoothly.

When the AE work is done, render a lossless file of the animation. Then bring it into Adobe Media Encoder to convert it to MPEG2, the only kind of video file that can be used on an authored DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cecilia ruiz-smith
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:45:20 pm

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your response. I feel better now with this additional information!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:36:35 pm

Being that you are sending to an HD monitor, you should be working in a 720x480 comp with 1.21 rectangle pixels. When you render your animation the DVD software should recognize the wide screen format and burn you a dvd that will be read correctly by the DVD player.

As far as it being sent to a 720 monitor, if you are burning a DVD and not a blu-ray, it doesn't really matter, it will be upscaled by the monitor.

I find the AE MPEG-2 DVD preset works very well. If you are using encore you should be able to drop that into a timeline, set your end action and be good to go.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

cecilia ruiz-smith
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:46:42 pm

Thank you, Thank you! This is a great help!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:57:12 pm

Glad I could help. One other thing, when rendering sent your "Render Settings" to "DV Settings"

You should be good to go then.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

cecilia ruiz-smith
on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:35:25 pm

THANKS AGAIN!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]