FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export/Aspect Ratio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Schneider
Export/Aspect Ratio
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:00:38 pm

This seems SO SIMPLE and I've never had a problem with it before (not that I use AE much) but it's driving me mad! I have a 15 second comp that is NTSC DV widescreen, but upon export it loses it's widescreen ratio and goes back to 3x2. I've checked everywhere I can think, and in the render queue have turned stretch on and made sure the pre set was DV widescreen and it still comes out 3x2. I'm in CS3... does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks so much!

Lee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export/Aspect Ratio
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:09:48 pm

Here's the big question: what are you trying to MAKE? What sort of application will use your rendered AE file next?

It makes a difference in the advice we give.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:00:15 pm

Thanks Dave. I'm wanting to export a QTime Pro Res422 file that will be sent to a network for broadcast. This is a 15 second "thanks for watching" bumper. Video was done in FCP and I imported into AE so I could use Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator on a logo. Thanks for any assistance you can provide... what seems to be such a simple thing is driving me nuts! LOL

Lee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:15:02 pm

Well, you could have some ProRes problems, I'm afraid. Only machines with Final Cut Suite 2 or 3 installed have access to the ProRes 422 codec. Quicktime 7.x can READ ProRes HQ and LT, but it can't WRITE to either.

If you need to deliver a quicktime movie, I'd go with the PNG codec at best quality: it's lossless. If an image sequence is acceptable, PNG and TIFF are probably the best choices.

Don't worry about the aspect ratio: you're probably looking at the file in quicktime, and it isn't displaying it in the proper pixel aspect ratio. This is easily solved when imported into FCP; the editor simply clicks in the Anamorphic column in the FCP Browser. It isn't a big deal at all.

But there IS a problem in that you're making an SD file in 16x9. That just doesn't make sense.

In NTSC-Land, broadcast SD is always 4x3. Most networks -- and you DID say this will air on a network -- want HD at either 1920x1080 59.94i or 1280x720 59.94p with the crucial graphics within 4x3 Title Safe. So I'm confused by what you're delivering, and why.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:25:26 pm

Dave,

No problem with the Pro Res... I'm using FC Studio 3. As far as the 16:9, I'm dropping the wide screen footage into a 4x3 sequence before exporting so it comes out letterboxed. They wanted that look. So if you think QT player just isn't displaying the file properly thats OK by me... I just thought it should display correctly after I export it like it does out of Final Cut. I can make sure it's correct when I put it back into the 4x3 sequence. Thanks for your input!!

Lee

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:46:55 pm

Interesting though that when I drop it into a FCP sequence , and let the sequence automatically set itself, it sets to 3x2, and not wide screen. That leads me to believe the QT player was displaying the aspect ratio correctly, and somethings going on in AE during the export thats causing it to not we wide screen.

Lee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:51:42 pm

You didn't activate the check box in the Browser's Anamorphic column; I mentioned it earlier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:48:21 pm

Exactly... and thats my point. If the file was in the correct aspect ratio, you shouldn't have to check the box. When I drop a file into a new sequence it asks if you would like the sequence to set itself to match the clip, and thats the easiest way to see what it is. If it was anamorphic, the sequence should set itself up that way. Oh well, I can easily change the aspect ration in the distort tab to get it lo look correct. Was just driving me crazy not being abel to see it as 16:9 after the AE export. Thanks Dave!
Lee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:46:08 pm

[Lee Schneider] "If the file was in the correct aspect ratio, you shouldn't have to check the box."

Well, 720x480 can be either 16x9 OR 4x3. Other anamorphic resolutions (e.g. 960x720, 1440x1080) are always 16x9, and they don't have that problem. I don't think AE sets the pixel aspect ratio switch properly.

To me, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

John Johnston
on Nov 3, 2013 at 8:57:41 am

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to say thanks for your kind and precise advice on this thread...I was confronted with the identical issue at 1:30am after a long day and lo and behold as soon as i read your instruction to check that pesky anamorphic parameter in my FCP browser the problem was immediately solved.

So Thank you again sir for your kind willingness to share your knowledge.

Cordially,
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]