FORUMS: list search recent posts

mov file was gray out after import to compositon

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yesman chan
mov file was gray out after import to compositon
on Mar 1, 2011 at 6:31:21 am

Hi all, i'm a beginner and i got the question.

i try to import the quicktime file mov format to the composition. i see the mov object is gray out. it shouldn't be a problem with that mov file. i can see people have no problem of this. but i can't find out why.

It supposes to be a transparency around the frame.

here is the result what i have.

Quick time 7.6.9
After effect CS5
composition HD 1080 25fps
mov file: 30 fps photo -JEPG

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
Re: mov file was gray out after import to compositon
on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:23:43 am

Jpeg doesn't support alpha channels.

Go back to where you got the footage and export it again using a different codec that does support alpha channels, such as PNG sequence, animation codec, tiff sequence.

Also note whether you are using a straight or premultipled alpha channel and set AE to the same when interpreting the footage.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

yesman chan
on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32:06 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Cory.

is the the setting under the AE Preferences> Import> Interpret Unlabeled Alpha As : Straight (Unmatted)

i tired put the setting as Straight or premultiplied and select the footage(mov file) and File>Interpret Footage> Main
all of the setting on Aplha was gray out.

anyway to change the mov file type from JPEG to PNG. I only have that mov file.

Sorry, I'm a very beginner for AE. Im trying to finish the slideshow before the wedding day.

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:08:11 pm

As I said, Jpeg does not support alpha. That is why it is greyed out; because there is no alpha channel in the file. Your options are to recreate the original image with a proper alpha channel, or if it is all black and grey, you can key out the grey with the color key effect.

Also if this is stock photography, you may have two cycles of the video, one as shown and the other that looks like a black and white silhouette. If you see that, it is an alpha matte that you can use.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]