FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe AE CS5 render wiredness has me stumped

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Lynch
Adobe AE CS5 render wiredness has me stumped
on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:38:21 pm

All,

I've tried the manual, online search and now here looking for an answer to a vexing problem in adobe after effects.

I have a composition that is in 3D and has one camera that moves across the comp to the right then down etc. All worked well until this past weekend. In the past if you hit preview the timeline would render with a green line showing progress and then stop at the end of the comp. Then you could watch the comp at full speed as many times as you wanted. Now now.

The preview just goes in a loop - no matter where I start it just continues to the end and the loops back to the beginning. If I render out the comp - I get the corrected duration of 15secs , it starts ok - stops for 12 secs and then jumps to the end 2 secs.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Adobe AE CS5 render wiredness has me stumped
on Jan 13, 2011 at 4:14:41 pm

there is a panel called 'preview (window>preview) that has several options for how ae does previews. one is how it loops. there are 3 states, loop, ping pong, and play once. that may be what you are after.

there is also an option for 'current time' meaning the preview only renders from the current time. it will then loop back to that point when it hits the end of the comp. without that setting, it will always render the work area (by default the work area is the full comp, but that can be easily changed, and there are some advantages to that).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Barry Lynch
on Jan 13, 2011 at 4:28:26 pm

Thanks let me try your suggestions and thank you for taking the time. It is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Barry Lynch
on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:42:24 pm

didn't work.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:46:11 pm

Have you fooled around with the Multiprocessing or Open GL settings recently?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:15:10 pm

are you hitting the space bar to preview, or are you hitting the zero on the numbers pad?

zero will produce a ram preview, but the duration is limited to the amount of ram you have, space bar will cache to disk which often will not play out in realtime.

ram previews are generally preferred. if you are hitting the limits of your ram, then reducing the down sample from 'full' to 'half' will increase the duration that can be cached by 4x.

also, your final render that quicktime will play for 12 seconds, but then skip to the end is probably due to the data rate being too high for the drive to keep up. this is common with lossless or uncompressed files. you can open the 'movie inspector' in quicktime as you play the file and it should show you the playback fps. if it drops bellow the actual fps, then you'll know that's the problem, not the media itself. you can try compressing the file (or rendering from ae to a compressed file, like quicktime photo-jpeg), but usually you maintain a lossless/uncompressed workflow and do the compression at the final stage.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Barry Lynch
on Jan 15, 2011 at 2:04:21 am

Thanks for the tip on the full vs half resolution. That seems to have helped a bit. Also a rendered the file as DV and it at least runs through as it should. I'm not going to be surprised if it is a RAM issue as I only have 6Gig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]