FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE 3D box shaddow glitch - annoying!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gordon Miller
AE 3D box shaddow glitch - annoying!
on Nov 7, 2010 at 7:09:00 pm

Hi Guys,

Just needing some help. I have created an intro using a rolling dice on a crisp white background. The dice is a scripted 3D box. I have chosen the cast shaddow from the box and accept lights on the floor of my comp - but the AE shaddow creates what looks like spikes of shaddows (hard to explain). A cube should have a nice soild shaddow, but AE almost interps this not as a 'box/cube' but thin panels, so when it tumbles on it looks like shafts of thin strips of grey - not a shaddow - make sense to anyone? I have overlaped the panels, created a manual 3D cube - all does the same - sucks as it took ages to set up and create an into to find out the HD render looks like crap. Need the shaddow as it will just float on this white space..... any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Jody Linton
Re: AE 3D box shaddow glitch - annoying!
on Nov 7, 2010 at 9:50:39 pm

Hi, have you tried adjusting the "diffusion" settings for your lights maybe?

Return to posts index

Gordon Miller
on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:46:06 pm

Yeh I have tried that - it takes it down a bit, but I still get 'spikes' of shadows. If I take the diffusion right down it seems to help, but the only problem is the shadow looks like a vector shadow, not soft and realistic.

Got asked to upload a screen capture - I will see how to upload an image - somewhere here I'm sure.

Any other tips?

G.

Return to posts index

Jody Linton
on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:42:14 pm

Hi, you could also try changing the "Shadow Map Resolution", I do it in C4D quite often as it reduces "artifacts" object edges and when objects get close to each other. Go to: Composition settings > advanced > options, and change the map resolution from "comp size" to something bigger like 2000pxl.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 8, 2010 at 8:42:18 pm

you might also try adding a few diagonal planes within the cubes to help fill out the gaps in the shadow.

or, since it sounds like your background sounds like it is very simple (just white), you could try setting the planes of the cubes to cast shadow 'only', then render only the shadow on white, bring that back into ae and see if you can fix it by blurring it (you did mention that a harder shadow rendered better, this would allow you to soften that shadow, post-render). then, of course composite the cubes back in...

or completely fake the shadow with a soft oval mask on a black solid.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 8, 2010 at 1:37:07 am

Post a screenshot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]