FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing ALT button from the workflow (realtime preview of changes)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Volkov
Removing ALT button from the workflow (realtime preview of changes)
on Aug 7, 2010 at 10:22:39 am

Hi

I find it annoying to always have to hold down the Alt key in order to see the changes in real time, whether it's the size of my object, or my animation in the timeline. Is there a way to force After Effects to show the same real time changes without the use of Alt key?

And to explain the problem a bit further if this sounds confusing. Try to make an object, Press S for Scale and with your mouse, drag the percentage value to the left and right. Nothing happens (you don't see the result real-time while changing the value), until you let go of the mouse button. Now try the same while Holding down the Alt key. As you see, you can directly see how big your object is, before letting go of the mouse button.

Now try to make a simple 2 keyframe-animation, and scrub in the timeline. Same story - Alt VS no Alt.

After have worked in Flash for over 10 years, I find this rather annoying, unless there is no solution for this and I have to accept my grim fate of getting used to using the Alt key.

Thanks for reading this rather long post, and have a nice day :)

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Removing ALT button from the workflow (realtime preview of changes)
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:50:15 pm

There's a simple setting you need to change ... I'm not in AE right now and I'm terrible at recalling terminology for things I never change, but its called something like "live update" or "live preview".

By the way, no offense, but it sounds like you would benefit from spending some time with AE training materials and the AE help .... AE is not Flash by a long shot and is not the kind of software that one can learn from just clicking around on a few things. If you learn the basics first, you will save yourself a lot of time and frustration .... its just not practical to jump into AE blind and post forum questions for every minor issue you encounter. If you search the COW and the web, you will find tons of tools to help you learn AE the right way.

Return to posts index

Alex Volkov
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:09:05 pm

Sorry I can't find anything like that anywhere in Preferences

Edit: I know the basics. I have watched lots of tutorials for around a year now, and tried experementing with the features inside the program. It's just that sometimes I run into a problem here and there, where I don't know the solution, and trust me - I am googling before posting in here.

It just doesn't make any sense for me to spend days/weeks to look for a solution (that maybe isn't even there at all) and get frustrated about it, if someone in here knows the answer. And I'm sure that there will be someone else, who will benefit from this topic.

My main goal is to optimize the workflow, by cutting out unnecessary steps (to achieve the same goals), by exchanging ideas based on experience. And when the time is right, I will share my ideas as well.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:38:57 pm

I believe it's at the bottom of the comp viewer panel.

Return to posts index

Alex Volkov
on Aug 7, 2010 at 3:28:08 pm

I tried everything on this list http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/after-effects/workflow/composition/panel.... and could not find anything. Is it me that have overlooked something?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 7, 2010 at 4:46:59 pm

those options are at the bottom of the preview window. you want the options at the top of the timeline. if you hover over each icon it should give you the name of the option, it looks like a box with an 'x' in it.

if you are still having trouble, here's the page from the manual on preview modes:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSAF696587-2D81-42e2-B248...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alex Volkov
on Aug 8, 2010 at 10:47:16 am

Great! Thanks alot, guys :D my day is saved

Return to posts index

Sharket Vijay
on Oct 19, 2016 at 10:08:29 am

Bruh i dont understand how you resolved it, i still have the same problem. I have to press alt everytime but it wasn't like this before. IDK what the problem is. We can't do stuff correctly with it.

Please help me with this

Sharketespark-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]