FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duration for Imported Photoshop Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Smith
Duration for Imported Photoshop Layers
on Jul 30, 2010 at 2:53:59 pm

I'm trying to import several Photoshop files with several layers for an animated sequence. When I import as Composition or Composition (Cropped Layers) the imported assets and generated composition are all eight frames in duration. I can change the duration of each composition that is created, but the actual Photoshop layers are fixed at 8 frames. I'm sure this is some simple fix...any ideas on how to make the Photoshop layers longer in length?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Duration for Imported Photoshop Layers
on Jul 30, 2010 at 3:20:25 pm

[Steven Smith] "I can change the duration of each composition that is created, but the actual Photoshop layers are fixed at 8 frames. I'm sure this is some simple fix..."

Yeah, it's pretty simple:
  • Go to the comp settings. Change the comp's length to whatever you need.
  • Hit the End key to go to the end of the comp.
  • Select all the layers. Hit the Option - ] (that's a right bracket, and for a Mac) key combo to extend the out point of all the layers to the end of the comp.

You're all set.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steven Smith
on Jul 30, 2010 at 3:34:31 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply. I tried that before I posted, no dice. Like I said, the default duration is 8 frames and I can adjust the end point within that span (make the clip 7 frames, 6 frames, etc.). But I can't make it any longer than that.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Jul 30, 2010 at 7:12:24 pm

Unless they're time-remapped, layers that represent nested comps can't be longer than the comps they represent ... in other words, if comp A is 5 seconds long and you put it inside of comp B, that layer in comp B can't be any longer than 5 seconds. I realize you may not have put any comps inside of other comps, but depending on the characteristics of your PSD, it's very likely that comps and precomps were automatically created via the process of importing into AE.

Return to posts index

Josh Zacharias
on Feb 3, 2014 at 4:23:25 pm

It is related to how you name your photoshop files. Your files names probably look something like:
scene 1.psd
scene 2.psd
scene 3.psd

When you import photoshop "scene 1.psd" after effects thinks its a sequence. Just uncheck the "photoshop sequence" option when you are importing the file.

If you try importing a photoshop file called test.psd suddenly your layers are flexible and you can drag the duration because AE didn't check the "photoshop sequence" option automatically this time. Soon as your file name appears like a sequence numbering system. AE checks "photoshop sequence" automatically. Simply uncheck it before you hit import.

Return to posts index

Greg Neumayer
on Jul 29, 2011 at 11:32:50 pm

You may just be looking for the import setting:
After Effects > Preferences > Import

I had to change this when I imported a heavily nested (folders) photoshop document. All folders get converted to comps that are the same length as your main comp, but individual layers only show up per the preference set above. So, in my case, the comps were long enough, but the individual layers were too short.

Dave's note below is a great keyboard shortcut to know, but if you've got a very nested psd, you might be better off just fixing that pref and re-importing.

If you've already made changes to your top level comp before you realize you'd like to re-import, you can option-drag your new imported comp over the first one to replace it, but you'll lose any changes you've made to the nested comps.

-Greg Neumayer

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:01:40 pm

My preference isn't working. It was set to 1 second (which isn't what it imported as). I changed it to 1 minute, what I want. I imported again and the composition was 1 frame.

I realized that the last sequence of images I created was 1 second.
So my solution was to grab two images in the project window and create a composition from them. That opens a window that asks if you want them sequenced, their duration, etc. That's the duration my PSD import is using, not the one from preferences.

This is AE 5.5. Am I alone in that? Is that desired or perhaps a bug?

Return to posts index

David Millerd
on Jul 25, 2016 at 6:34:06 pm

I had the same issue, when importing I unchecked the "photoshop sequence" under the sequence options and my footage came in normally.

Return to posts index

Mikhail Konovalov
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:18:07 am
Last Edited By Mikhail Konovalov on Oct 11, 2016 at 2:03:53 pm

Maybe you have someting done to the PSD in the Photoshop's own "Timeline". Check if it's not 8 frames there. I've encountered the same, the fix was to delete all animation in photoshop document and resave it, it then imported into After Effects as normal. But I would like to know if there is a way to retain photoshop animation (i.e. settings in the Photoshop's own "Timeline" panel) and yet to be able to ignore or override it upon having it imported in After Effects as a composition so as to change the layers' duration freely. Hope I'm making myself clear enough. The only workaround I came up with for now is to assign Time Remap (Ctrl+Alt+T) to the layers, but a crutch is a crutch.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 11, 2016 at 3:01:39 pm

for me it looks like Op accidentally imported his Psd file as Psd sequence. there is not a mention in his post that we want's to import an animation. so I really thing david is right on the money

[David Millerd] "I had the same issue, when importing I unchecked the "photoshop sequence" under the sequence options and my footage came in normally.
"

but we can't tell because Op never came back...

[Mikhail Konovalov] "But I would like to know if there is a way to retain photoshop animation (i.e. settings in the Photoshop's own "Timeline" panel)"

if you work with a video timeline, when you import your psd, if the layers were not video layers, then Ae will keep your editing.

Ps

Ae

it appears it does not support video layers so no luck there and you will get an error message and the editing won't be retained.

you can of course render your Ps video and import to Ae.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mikhail Konovalov
on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:17:46 pm

[Roei Tzoref] "but we can't tell because Op never came back..."

Indeed. I considered the overlooked checkbox too obvious a reason, also myself was stumped at similar problem but of a different genesis. I searched forums at Adobe's site as well, and only found advice similar to my crutch (time remapping layers, or else deleting all data in Photoshop Timeline and re-saving the .psd).

Here're the screenshots of the problematic file in both Photoshop and After Effects (imported as Composition, Sequence checkbox unchecked)

Photoshop:

After Effects:

and the source file itself:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mvi9KB-6D1YzJmdEFDR25mWTA/view?usp=shari...

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:43:13 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:47:46 pm

thank you for the file. this is interesting. I find the integration between rotoscoping in Ps, and video in Ps with Ps->Ae workflow fascinating.

all of your layers were imported as sequences. you can see it by the icon.

you should import them with the psd sequence unchecked.

still you are correct, it seems that when you import a video timeline that has a video layer, all of your layers will be imported with the duration that was set for them in PS. this should not be a problem for the video layer (beautiful animation BTW) because that's the animation you want. as for the other layers, the workaround are easy:
1. time remapping like you suggested
2. * my favorite: you can extend only one layer, and you will get all of them in the duration you extended that one layer in Ps. good news - you can do this even after you imported the file and it will update with the new duration.
3. set the interpret footage for each to loop (as many times as you want) and you can use remember interpretation - apply interpretation for all of them (10 seconds and you are done)

see if you get it to work.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mikhail Konovalov
on Oct 11, 2016 at 9:32:44 pm

[Roei Tzoref] " I find the integration between rotoscoping in Ps, and video in Ps with Ps->Ae workflow fascinating"

Perhaps; I haven't tried any of that.

"all of your layers were imported as sequences. you can see it by the icon."

Yes, I can see the icon and I can read the source item summary at the top of the project window. They are imported as sequences, 5 seconds @ 25fps. This is the problem, indeed. However:

"you should import them with the sequence unchecked. "

Y U NO beeleave me?! That's what I did. I made a separate screen shot just for that but didn't post it: it being a separate screen shot, wouldn't convince you of anything. OK, I'll capture a video of the whole process and post a public link below. Having been using After Effects since version 4.0 in the late 90'ies, I wouldn't have missed a checkbox. I import it as still layers, it gets imported as sequences. That's the problem.

"still you are correct, it seems that when you import a video timeline that has a video layer all of your layers will be imported with the duration that was set for them in PS."

I cannot be correct on that, having never stated it; however, the statement itself is incorrect. As it is apparent from the screenshots, the layers' duration is 2:00 in Photoshop but 5:00 in the After Effects. No interpretation can be guilty of that: for a non-video, static-by-nature, one-frame Background of the PSD to become 5 second in length, it would have to be either interpreted at 0,008 fps (the project window summary unequivocally displays that it is at 25 fps, my default for the sequences), or contain 125 frames: impossible, too, as I hope you'll agree.

Here is the video recording of the process anyway: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mvi9KB-6D1UEE5aGJjRWIxeHc/view?usp=shari...

"(beautiful animation BTW)"

Thanks; it's not mine, however. I'm only trouble-shooting this.

Thanks once again.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 11, 2016 at 10:16:14 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 11, 2016 at 10:55:59 pm

[Mikhail Konovalov] "OK, I'll capture a video of the whole process and post a public link below. Having been using After Effects since version 4.0 in the late 90'ies, I wouldn't have missed a checkbox. I import it as still layers, it gets imported as sequences. That's the problem."

in your recording indeed the sequence checkbox is unchecked and your layers were imported as psd layers with duration, and not with the sequence Icon like before. this is from your recording:

this is from before:

it's all the same of course because they do have duration all the same. but in unlike the recording, in the previous screenshot it is psd sequence simply because it has the icon of a sequence is where I am getting at.

[Mikhail Konovalov] "I cannot be correct on that, having never stated it; "
I only meant to acknowledge that there is a problem with layers with a duration even though they are not a sequence in the context of the thread. bad phrasing on my part, I apologize.

[Mikhail Konovalov] " As it is apparent from the screenshots, the layers' duration is 2:00 in Photoshop but 5:00 in the After Effects. "
yes, in your screenshots it is 2 seconds in Ps, and 5 seconds in Ae. but the file you uploaded opens in my photoshop 2015.5 like this:

5 seconds. so I have 5 seconds in Ps and 5 seconds in Ae. btw I don't have a ruler for the time units at the top of the timeline panel.. where do I switch it on?

as for why this is happening where frame layers are imported in limited time... obviously some bug or I suspect that Video Timeline workflows in conjunction with Ae is relatively new and uncharted territory. but we can get by. what about the workarounds I suggested?

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mikhail Konovalov
on Oct 11, 2016 at 10:57:04 pm
Last Edited By Mikhail Konovalov on Oct 11, 2016 at 11:05:14 pm

[Roei Tzoref] "what about the workarounds I suggested?"

You type faster than I do. I started answering in a postscriptum edit to my post to follow-up on those, but seeing your reply now, discarded it.

The "2*" is perhaps indeed the best as a workaround and witty enough for me not to have figured it on my own, thanks, but it only "kinda" works if I extend only one layer. Whichever is not extended (in the Photoshop Timeline) gets its Out point to move but visibly dissapears as if having its Opacity set to zero at its last frame in Photoshop. I haven't yet had the time to test it thoroughly enough, oddly some layers follow this behavior, others don't. Has to be fiddled with a little more, and as bad luck must have it, opening it directly from the cloud-synced Google Drive directory somehow damaged it and I cannot open it anymore, so untill I once again have access to the original.

The "3" will have to wait for the same but technically appears even more crutchy than time remapping.

My chief wonder had been whether it was a bug or some new feature that I missed or haven't figured out. Now that it's settled, nothing's bugless. Thanks for clearing this up.

"in your recording indeed the sequence checkbox is unchecked and your layers were imported as psd layers with duration, and not with the sequence Icon like before"

This is a different computer now, with perhaps different file associations (although should be the same unless someone changed something), and besides the icon, the summary in the Project window is still of a sequence (having temporarily lost the access to the original file, I cannot look up the interpretation dialogue now). A still would not have properties such as frame rate listed in its attributes. **

"it's all the same of course because they do have duration."

They have a fixed duration and thus behave as a sequence... while not being a sequence. This is some new breed then, so far it used to be either one or the other. Or it's simply a bug, which then alleviates all investigation, being the end of it. Where there are bugs, are workarounds.

"5 seconds. so I have 5 seconds in Ps and 5 seconds in Ae."

Whoops. My bad, then, sorry. There must have been versions of the file with the same name that I have mixed up. It's then at least logical for the durations to coincide, no black magic.

Thanks for taking part in untangling this!

** EDIT: And, do or do not take my word for it, but for the previous screenshot showing the source items with a sequence icon next to them, I also imported the file with the Sequence unchecked.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 11, 2016 at 11:08:03 pm

I agree, this is a new breed.

Thank you, this was fun and I learned something new ?

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Biju Toha
on May 27, 2017 at 4:50:34 am

Mikhail Konovalov! Thanks so much. Now it is working nice. Sorry, this is not my thread, but I'm going to feel the same issue here in my project. Finally, I've solved the issue by yours way. "I have something done to the PSD in the Photoshop's own "Timeline" and I deleted that timeline. Once again thanks so much to all of here with Creative Cow!

Return to posts index

Mikhail Konovalov
on May 29, 2017 at 4:36:22 pm

I'm so glad my experience helped someone out there. I remember how tough it had been to figure it out, no information whatsoever. Collective wisdom rules! :^)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]