FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output rendering problem...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
srini vas
Output rendering problem...
on Jul 8, 2010 at 2:01:16 am

Hi all,

I am new to AE. I import my video (shot from handy cam) and applied a preset. And after that i tried to render. Video rendered. But when i played it, video is playing in slow motion.

Could anyone please help me to solve this issue?

Thank you,
Srini

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Output rendering problem...
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:04:17 pm

You probably don't have AE 10, aka After Effects CS5. It sounds like a classic case of the footage giving AE problems:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:41:19 pm

Either a codec issue like Dave mentioned or it could just be that the video you rendered out is too large. Uncompressed HD video has waaaay too much data for a hard drive to handle. You need to have a specialized RAID setup to play back uncompressed HD video in real-time.
"But," you might say, "What did I do wrong?" Nothing. That's exactly how you should do it. After you render something out of AE, you can then take it to another program to compress it. You can compress video in AE, but it's not the best thing for final delivery. I'll borrow another of Dave's Stock Answers to explain it:
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.
Since you can create more than one output module per render in AE's render queue, what I like to do is render out an uncompressed (or Quicktime with the PNG codec since it's lossless and yet a lot smaller in file size - note: not a PNG sequence) and add a wmv output module too. That way I can quickly see what I rendered with the WMV, but I also have the full-quality AVI/MOV for use in the final compression stage.

More info on AE's Render Queue here and some fun tips and tricks here.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

srini vas
on Jul 8, 2010 at 11:59:34 pm

Hi Dave,

Glad to see your response.

I imported MP4, WMV and AVI footage.

My handy cam gives files with .TOD extension.

Could you please suggest me with which extension should i import?

Thank you in advance

Srini

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 9, 2010 at 12:55:11 pm

[srini vas] "with which extension should i import? "

As I wrote in an ealier post: "I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it. "

If you're on a Windows machine, ask someone else.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]