FORUMS: list search recent posts

Move the lightning

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Laita
Move the lightning
on Jun 5, 2010 at 11:14:18 pm

I just bought After Effects CS5 a few days ago and I am a true noob, so please bear with me.
I am trying to make a lightning video, using Effect>Obsolete>Lighning, aka simple lightning. I've made one where the actors stand still and shoot lightning with their hands. When I first tried this, I didn't know some key things, like changing when it appears (via splitting the layer), but I could move it, like with the actors' hands. Now I can't. I don't know how ;P.

Does anyone have some advice?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Move the lightning
on Jun 6, 2010 at 4:18:45 am

First of all, why are you using an effect that is in the very suggestively named Obsolete category? (I remember the discussion about what to call this category, and my vote was "Don't Use These Unless You're Working With Old Projects!")

Use Advanced Lightning.

If you're using Advanced Lightning, then you can animate the Origin property to move the source of the lightning around---e.g., tracking the actor's hand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Felix Laita
on Jun 6, 2010 at 8:03:58 pm

Could you please elaborate on how to do this?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 7, 2010 at 1:33:17 am

Apply the Advanced Lightning effect to a layer.

Turn on the stopwatch to set keyframes for the Origin property.

Move the Origin property's effect control point around to follow your actor's hand.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]