FORUMS: list search recent posts

render settings for hdtv?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason zaloga
render settings for hdtv?
on May 23, 2010 at 7:11:17 am

I am using the trial version AE CS5 with twenty five days left. I'm making a dvd video for my daughter who will be turning one this July. I compressed the video but in the photo the movement from the animation seems interlaced or something. It looks good when it's not moving that fast. I'm trying to figure out how to output for HDTV's 1080p. I not sure if the settings are on the right track. All images are from photoshop. The file that rendered is 2.94gigs. I need help.

screenshot.jpg

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: render settings for hdtv?
on May 23, 2010 at 6:23:08 pm

First things first:

You say that you're making DVD video, and then you mention HDTV. DVD video is a very narrow video specification, and it doesn't include HDTV. (Blu-ray, on the other hand, does go up to high-definition television sizes.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

So, the first question is this: Are you sure that you want to create DVD video? If your playback device is a DVD player, then that kinda locks you in to standard-definition MPEG-2 DVD video.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on May 24, 2010 at 6:28:25 am

I guess what I was saying is that i want to be able to watch it on my hdtv from a hd dvd. like the hd dvds you rent at blockbuster. I don't want it done on blue ray dvd but a hd dvd.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 24, 2010 at 3:01:15 pm

Okay, here's the next question: do you have a way to author and burn an HD DVD? If you don't the whole point of working in HD becomes irrelevant.

You have to remember that Blu-Ray won the HDTV-on-disc battle, and as time goes by, it gets tougher to make HD DVDs.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on May 24, 2010 at 4:13:55 pm

well I have a dvd burner and idvd.
I think i just realized that maybe I just need 16:9 ratio.

Comp Settings
preset- HDTV 1080 29.97
no advanced

Render Queue Settings
render settings- best

output module
format- quicktime
output info- mpeg-4 video
spatial quality=100

these settings got me to 235 mb rather than 2.4 gig file size better quality too. are these settings ok. I guess I thought i needed hd quality in order to be able to watch it on an hdtv. oops.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 24, 2010 at 4:23:53 pm

[jason zaloga] "well I have a dvd burner and idvd. "

Then you can NOT make HD DVD's... okay, I'm about 95% sure you can't. See below for more on that.

[jason zaloga] "maybe I just need 16:9 ratio. "

I believe iDVD can do that. You have to tell iDVD that you're making a 16x9 DVD. You MIGHT be able to make an HD DVD, but I know little about iDVD -- you'll have to check the manual. If it doesn't say you can, then you can't.

[jason zaloga] "preset- HDTV 1080 29.97 "

Not necessary for a DVD -- in AE, you can use the NTSC DV Widescreen comp preset. Get to know the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch at the bottom of the comp window. Don't worry about jagged edges when using the 16x9 view -- everything renders as smoothly as you see it in the 4x3 view.

[jason zaloga] "output info- mpeg-4 video "

To make the best possible looking discs, render high-quality quicktimes out of AE -- I recommend Quicktime's PNG codec. Use the resulting huge file -- and I mean HUGE -- to convert the video to MPEG2, the ONLY kind of video that is acceptable in an authored DVD -- it's part of the technical standard. You can't change that. What do you use to make MPEG2? iDVD, I guess.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on May 24, 2010 at 4:48:48 pm

thanks. i'm not there yet but i will burn a dvd tonight to see what it will look like.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]