FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I save video with transparent background?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Duarte
How can I save video with transparent background?
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:09:59 pm

I'm a new AE's user and I want to save an animation with a trasparent background to export to Sony Vegas, but I can't do it. My friend tells me to save the animation using the alpha channel, but I don't know how. Is that the right way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Brian Holson
Re: How can I save video with transparent background?
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:33:35 pm

I'm new to AE as well and here's what I know so far, when you put your comp in the render queue, double click on "output module", under "video output" is a "channels" drop down and there you can choose alpha or RGB + Alpha, and choose your format as well for export. Hope that helps...Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to posts index

Pedro Duarte
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:26:44 pm

Thank you, Holson! I've tryed, but I couldn't. My version of After Effects is too old (After Effects 6.5). I'll try to buy the After Effects CS4. Do know how to do it in my AE's version?

Thank for Advice!

Pedro Duarte
from Rio de Janeiro

Return to posts index

Brian Holson
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:29:48 pm

Sorry Pedro, I only have worked with CS4 so I don't know anything about version 6.5. Hopefully someone with that knowledge will see this and help you.

Return to posts index

Pedro Duarte
on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:01:13 pm

Holson, you help me a lot! I'll by the cs4 and I'll try to do what you wrote.

Thank you very much for the advice!

Pedro Duarte
from Rio de Janeiro

Return to posts index

Ed Romero
on Aug 25, 2010 at 5:08:28 pm

This is not working for me. Output module with rgb+alpha I still get a black area(the area I want to be transparent)when I import into editing program.
The searches I do always use a green screen to create the transparent video areas. Is that the only way?

WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO:
I'd like to create titles in AE CS4 with a transparent background so the titles can be imported into the editing program(final cut or avid)and just dropped into a video track above the main video. All exports I do end up with a black area covering the whole video below it.

What do I need to do? What are the settings I need to use in AE to export transparent video?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Aug 25, 2010 at 6:03:03 pm

What Brian Holson described are in fact the correct steps ...

"put your comp in the render queue, double click on "output module", under "video output" is a "channels" drop down and there you can choose alpha or RGB + Alpha, and choose your format as well for export"

For transparency, you want "RGB + Alpha", but you also have to make sure you're rendering to a codec that supports alpha channels ... I usually use PNG or Animation, but there are others too.

If you do those things you'll have an alpha channel so it's then just a matter of whether it's being interpreted correctly by whatever NLE software you bring the file in to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]