FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing a single instance of a footage item

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sofia Svensson
Replacing a single instance of a footage item
on Mar 3, 2010 at 10:54:47 am

This seems like it should be a basic function... and yet after much googling I can't find out how to replace a single instance of a particular footage item.

For example... I've used a JPG many times in a project and I need to replace it in only ONE of the places where I've used it (as opposed to the normal "Replace footage -> File" function which replaces the file in ALL the places I've used it).

Can I do that? :)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
John Cuevas
Re: Replacing a single instance of a footage item
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:02:38 pm

Sure-select the jpeg in the timeline that you need to replace. Hold down 'alt'(pc) and select the new footage from the project panel. Now while holding down 'alt' drag it on to the old jpeg. It will replace the footage with keyframes,effects,masks all the same.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Sofia Svensson
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:26:16 pm

Ahaaaa! Knew there had to be a way. Hopefully the next time someone else can't find a solution they'll google this post.

Thanks for your help!! :D

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:03:41 pm

searching After Effects Help with terms from your question brings up this:

"Replace layer sources with references to another footage item"

"1. Select one or more layers in the Timeline panel
2. Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) a footage item from the Project panel onto a selected layer in the Timeline panel."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Erin Capparelli
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:52:00 pm

Perfect timing.. just needed the answer to this question as well. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Katherine Landgrebe
on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:05:22 pm

Hi,
how about .ai or .eps footage? There the replacing function does not seem to work. Anybody know why or how I can work around this?
I have imported an AI as a composition and would now like to replace the single layers with those of another AI aomp to keep the length and transparency settings etc.

Return to posts index

Katherine Landgrebe
on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:09:40 pm

Erm, sorry, now it works just fine with my test files. Dunno what went wrong (or right in this case). Sorry for bothering. I'm happy for now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]