FORUMS: list search recent posts

Discovery Channel Rebrand?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Panepinto
Discovery Channel Rebrand?
on Feb 10, 2010 at 3:37:35 pm

I am trying to create a look similar to this:

I know Royale hand animated the pieces and created mattes, but I'm curious how this is done? What is the technique for something like this?

Joe

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Discovery Channel Rebrand?
on Feb 10, 2010 at 5:37:46 pm

it doesn't look like the images are broken up and rotated as faces of boxes... it looks like they have grey scale animations that are overlayed, probably with a blending mode like overlay or hard light, or possibly as a keyed piece that had just shadow/highlight values showing.

then there would be track mattes for the box faces that would reveal the images and are timed with the other overlay animation.

to create the box animations, i would imagine that they used a 3d app and rendered the overlays and mattes from there. you could probably create something similar in ae, but it would be rather tedious to manually build each 3d box, place them and animate/control them...

you might be able to use a sampleImage() expression and a layer map to help drive the rotations of the boxes (similar to how card wipe/dance can use a layer map), but ae's shading and shadows on the boxes won't look as nice.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Joe Panepinto
on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:56:05 pm

Thank you very much for tips.

Joe Panepinto
Graphic Designer
KDVR/KWGN

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:25:27 pm

i should have added that if you wanted to try and create a similar look, try card wipe.

it won't create the 3d boxes, just simple 3d cards, but it will actually break up the image and rotate the pieces it as individual flat cards/tiles. it has simple controls to control the rotation of the cards and the order of the rotation can be made more complex by simply using a layer map.

you can set the back side of the cards to be the next image to reveal, or, just set that to 'none' to reveal a layer bellow the card wipe layer.

i would imagine that you could find a few tutorials on card wipe and how to manipulate the cards with layer maps, or possibly even using multiple card wipe effects to create different sized tiles.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]