FORUMS: list search recent posts

Continously Rasterize/Collapse Transformations button

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dino Juarez
Continously Rasterize/Collapse Transformations button
on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:09:27 pm

I have a comp with multiple layers including one with a logo created in Illustrator. All layers are vector and have their 3D buttons checked. There is a camera with some positioning keyframes so the logo and the other layers fly in from offscreen. This comp is set to 864 x 486.

However, our client now wants the final output to be 1920 x 1080. So I figured I could create a new comp at 1920 x 1080, import the smaller comp, and then just scale it up.

After doing this, the vector logo and vector layers of course became pixelated from the scaling, so I figured I could check the "Continuously Rasterize/Collapse Transformations" buttons and then everything would be clean and sharp. However, when I checked these buttons, the vector art did become clean and sharp, but I lost all effects of the camera so now instead of everything flying in from off screen, it all just sits there in the middle of the screen. It's like the Collapse Transformation button disabled the camera entirely. What gives? Any help is appreciated...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Continously Rasterize/Collapse Transformations button
on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:16:15 pm

It is a rule in AE that only ONE camera can be active at one time. If there is a camera in the nested comp AND a camera in the main comp, AE will use the one in the main comp. You will need to alter your animation accordingly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dino Juarez
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:01:12 pm

Dave,
Thanks for your prompt reply. However, I am only using one camera. The single camera is in the smaller 864 x 486 comp. This comp was then nested into a second comp which is set to 1920 x 1080. There is no camera in the second comp. The only thing I do in the second comp is A.) scale up the 864 x 486 by 222% and B.) Enable the Continuously Rasterize button.

If you haven't done so, try to set up my exact arrangement and you will see what I mean. As soon as you check the continuous rasterize button in the second comp, all translation properties from the 3D camera (which is in the smaller, original comp) are lost.

This seems to be an issue that Adobe needs to address as I have located numerous posts on the same subject.

Thanks for your input...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:42:21 pm

If you animate the logo layers and a camera in an SD comp, then simply change the comp settings to HD resolution, all the keyframes will still be in their SD settings. The 360, 240, 0 position in SD is a far different position in a 1920x1080 comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dino Juarez
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:54:56 pm

I already sort of just did what you suggested. I ended up using a script called Demo Palette.jsx which among other things, allows you to scale an entire comp up. So, I applied this script to all 5 of my comps (my actual project was a bit more complex than the scenario I described to you - but I wanted to just give you the basic problem).

Then I had to go back in and reset some of the scale properties on some of the layers to 100% (the script sized them up to 222%). It actually did not take that much time, but it still seems to me that the cont. rasterize button is problematic.

I would be curious to know from Adobe as to why a nested comp with a 3D camera, loses all of its properties when Cont. Rasterize is turned on.

Anyway, consider this case closed. Thanks again for your input.

Return to posts index

Stuart Elith
on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:02:07 am

"I would be curious to know from Adobe as to why a nested comp with a 3D camera, loses all of its properties when Cont. Rasterize is turned on."

I am not sure that this is a "problem" as such, just a different way of working. If I have 3D objects nested in a comp, I may want them to be affected by the outer camera, in which case the way it is works well. If I want to keep the inner camera's properties, I won't use the Cont.Rasterize.

Yeah I've had those experiences where you kind of need a bit of both, but I'm not sure there's an elegant solution, I think it has to be one way or the other.

Return to posts index

david lupica
on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:31:14 pm

But is there no way to just keep your vector images sharp, without having to also accept that comp's camera settings? Why would one button be responsible for both of those settings? And why aren't vector images just sharp by default. (by sharp i mean, actually vector, you know like zoom in as much as you want without aliasing or pixelating.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]