FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing HD footage with what codec?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
piff aroni
Importing HD footage with what codec?
on Jan 16, 2010 at 7:52:55 am

what codec does my footage have to be in After Effects so the footage doesnt have to render all the time.

for example, I downloaded some tuts from videocopilot.com and the footage they have plays more smoother then the footage I import using Final cut pro PRO RESS codec.

the problem is, if I try to capture using premiere on os x, I cant for some reason change the video settings in premiere to change the codec, as I am trying to use the quicktime setting.

I have a canon hf10 cam.

Is this a problem with OS X and premiere?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Importing HD footage with what codec?
on Jan 16, 2010 at 4:44:45 pm

[piff aroni] "I downloaded some tuts from videocopilot.com and the footage they have plays more smoother then the footage I import using Final cut pro PRO RESS codec."

You can see what codec was used once you import the footage into AE. Highlight the footage in the project window and look at the information at the top.

[piff aroni] "I have a canon hf10 cam."

One type of footage you do NOT want to use is temporally-compressed footage of any kind. Do a search on the COW for "Dave's Stock Answer #1" for the explanation.

Since you're on a Mac, you really ought to have QT 7.x and NOT QTX, which is a piece of junk for AE work. When you get it, sniff around the settings to find "enable lagacy codecs".

You also ought to have Quicktime Pro. It's the best 30 bucks you'll spend all year. And while you're at it, track down the FREE ProRes decoder in the QT section of Apple's web site, if you don't already have it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

piff aroni
Re: Importing HD footage with what codec?
on Jan 16, 2010 at 6:42:39 pm

Thank you for your response dave. I am coming from using the Final Cut Pro bundle, so I already have quicktime pro 7.6.2. I did see the option for SHOW LEGACY CODECS (allows exporting using old codecs) and I have checked it.

what I am confused about is why does final cut pro users say to use the PRO RES codec when using final cut pro, as they say its better for HD footage, at least within FCP. I read Dave's Stock Answer #1, but you did not say WHICH codec to use when using AE... and what program should I use to import the footage to convert it? When I try using premiere pro, for capture settings I cant change the video setting options within premiere...dont know if this is a bug, my system or what.... so the only way I know how to import footage is using the FCP method of log and transfer....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]