FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE CS4 - OSX Snow Leopard and render times...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Moore
AE CS4 - OSX Snow Leopard and render times...
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:52:35 pm

I have a 3:30 project that has about :34 of animations and an imported pre-rendered quicktime, about 3:00 in length...

I'm using a Mac Pro running 10.6.2 with dual quad-core 2.8 Xeons and 8GB of RAM with 2.25 internal TB of storage along with BlackMagic Extreme HD for Preview... That seems beefy enough to render anything fairly quickly...

The 3:30 project took almost 4 hours to render... I noticed that the processors were using 6% - 10% of 3GB...

I have the following settings:

OpenGL OFF
Multiprocessing ON
2GB per CPU
Faster Rendering (2.37 GB per CPU)
Internal Scratch Drive (1TB) for caching

Any suggestions as to why the render times are so long? Do I have a few dip-switches in the wrong positions? Am I the dip-switch...

Calgon take me away!

Thanks,
Ted

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CS4 - OSX Snow Leopard and render times...
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:22:42 pm

[Ted Moore] "I'm using a Mac Pro running 10.6.2 with dual quad-core 2.8 Xeons and 8GB of RAM...
Multiprocessing ON
2GB per CPU "

A little arithmetic is often helpful. You've got two quad-core processors -- a total of 8 cores -- and you've set up multiprocessing to use 2GB/core. That's a total of 16 GB, right?
However, you only have 8 GB on your machine, right?

I'm certainly not the brightest candle in the AE chandelier, but even I see the discrepancy. I'd say you'd be wise to read the following as your next diagnostic step:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Todd Kopriva
Re: AE CS4 - OSX Snow Leopard and render times...
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:51:41 pm

Also, you must update to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) if you're using Snow Leopard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]