FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue sharing AE project between mac and PC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Ondik
Issue sharing AE project between mac and PC
on May 10, 2016 at 8:06:24 pm

We are looking to add PCs to our Mac office and have been running tests with Adobe products. We have an issue when trying to open many different projects all created on mac, on the PC. The first issue is that it doesn't find any of the footage, and pops up an error message for every file in the project. (after effects warning: error with "file name" & alternates between another error after effects error "file name" cannot be opened, it may be an unsupported 86::1 ) After clicking OK thru all the errors we try to reconnect to the exact file, & it says After Effects warning: could not create file "filename" the file could not be found.

We're using a Facilis Terrablock as shared storage, and both macs and PC have access to it. The PC has it mounted thru the C drive, and has zero issues opening up premiere pro projects created on mac, and locates all of the footage just fine. It only happens with after effects. The files in the AE projects range from Jpeg, PNGs, MP4s, and Prores Quicktimes. All of these files can be imported and work well on the PC, but the reconnect does nothing but throw the error.

We've tried collecting all of the files to one drive & location. Doing this connected SOME of the files, not all, and still throws the error when we try to manually reconnect the rest. We've contacted adobe support, and walked thru collecting files, a remote session, etc. and were escalated to the next level. We're currently awaiting a call from adobe, but it may take up to 48hrs. We assume it has something to do with the way after effects sees the terrablock between MAC & PC, though its odd that we have no reconnection issues with premiere.

Any help or things to try in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

-Stephen

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Issue sharing AE project between mac and PC
on May 10, 2016 at 8:15:04 pm

I think Facilis support would be worth contacting, too. My shop is cross-platform and the only time we've run into Mac/PC problems with Ae are filenames that use characters which are legal on Mac but illegal on PC.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Stephen Ondik
on May 10, 2016 at 8:36:41 pm

Thank you for the response Walter. I've sent out an email to our contact at Facilis. Hopefully we hear back soon. Also, I failed to mention in the post that when we try to manually replace a clip, the error comes back for a completely different clip. ie if I'm trying to reconnect a file named "flag.png" it will throw the error for "belizebookcover.jpeg" saying it can't be created or found.

Return to posts index

Stephen Ondik
on May 13, 2016 at 2:58:53 pm

Walter, If you don't mind me asking...Does your shop also use a TerraBlock? The reason I ask is because we've been in contact with both adobe & facilis, and still can't come to the conclusion as to which way we should be mounting volumes on the PC side. We believe it makes more sense to mount under the C:\Volumes, but adobe has said that we need to mount them as separate drives with distinct drive letters. When we mount under C:\Volumes premiere pro works and reconnects great, and under specific drive letters nothing auto connects. AE is definitely a different beast when it comes to reconnecting, but we'd assume if premiere works this way then it should be the way we try to troubleshoot. If you use the TB how do you mount volumes on the PCs?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 14, 2016 at 12:27:22 pm

Sorry, I'm not a Terrablock customer. I wish I could help you better!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on May 11, 2016 at 6:51:12 pm

What AE version and what Facilis version server and client? I can take a look at it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Ondik
on May 11, 2016 at 7:09:03 pm

Hi Matthew.

We're using AE 2014.0.2 on the PC (Win 10) and the TB client is 6.5.5, the TB server (win7 pro) is 6.5.0. The Macs (10.10.4) are on AE 2014.2 TB version 6.5.0 and some 6.5.5. We've also tried opening with AE 2015 but still no luck.

The issue with reconnecting files has semi-resolved itself. Now the only thing that won't reconnect automatically, OR manually is the footage not on the same drive as the project. Most of our footage lives on drives specific to location. ie Europe, USA, etc. After effects will only reconnect to to footage stored on the Project drive. When we try to manually "replace footage" it gives us the error that the footage cant be created or found, even though we point it directly to the clip.

Premiere pro does not have this issue. It automatically finds all the clips from various drives and reconnects them properly, no need for even manually relinking them. It must be something with the way that AE handles file paths. Must be different than the way premiere pro does.

Any help or insight is always appreciated!

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on May 11, 2016 at 7:36:40 pm

ok,thanks. I'll see what I can figure out.

Return to posts index

Seth Olson
on Dec 23, 2016 at 12:10:48 am

Did you find out anything? I just got a PC to replace my dying mac pro, and relinking files isn't working on Facilis.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]