FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD advise please!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damian Iovacchini
SSD advise please!
on May 5, 2016 at 4:29:27 pm

Hello there!

I'm planning on buying a 120g/240g ssd especifically for Adobe to handle cache files. Reason for this is because I think I have a really good notebook yet the processing time is far from real time (like 4fps with a couple of relatively simple effects).

Specs are as follows:
Intel i7-4700MQ (8 cores, 3.4ghz)
16gb ram ssd3
GeForce 740M (2gb GDDR5)
1TB HDD

I've read and investigated a little and it all seems to point that the HDD is what is not allowing AE to process faster, because of how the program works and uses resources.
Now... thing is where I live SSDs are expensive and it would be an investment only and especifically for AE (let's say). I would like to know how drastic the difference would be in order for me to make the decission. Hopefully you guys can help me out making the right decission!

Thanks in advance,
Damian

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: SSD advise please!
on May 5, 2016 at 9:20:49 pm

[Damian Iovacchini] "...the processing time is far from real time (like 4fps with a couple of relatively simple effects)...."

Does this mean you're hitting the space bar? That's not the way to preview. Depending on your AE version, there are two different ways to do it.

Personally, I'd go for the bigger-capacity SSD. When AE caches, it does so at full image quality, and those babies take up a LOT of storage.

Besides, if AE doesn't pan out for you, you'll be all set for any other application you want to use.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Damian Iovacchini
on May 5, 2016 at 9:40:39 pm

Thanks for the reply, first of all.

Second, yes. I meant quick preview which I use a lot more often than RAM preview, if that's what you meant. You may have realized I'm a self tought noob haha.

Which method would you recommend for previewing? A pointer on how to google it would be mostly appreciated. I only want to see 3 or 5 secs to see how it's coming.

It is quite an investment a 240gb ssd but I'm with you when you say that if AE doesn't cut it as in future professional work (which I'm doing now but for friends so requirements are not as PRO as for a real real real AE user), I'd be all set for any other application.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 5, 2016 at 10:10:18 pm

Don't fart around with google. Go to the Adobe web site to learn how to preview in the newest version of AE... if that is indeed what you have.

Personally, I'm locked into AE CC 2012 until the folks at the Home Office in Baltimore deign to get me upgraded. So I RAM Preview.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]