FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing files not missing, but missing in AME

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemier
Missing files not missing, but missing in AME
on May 3, 2016 at 3:23:07 pm

This is the most odd thing. I have a sequence of images, they Are large. 5184x3456. I didn't go back and resize them. But I don't see why that would be the problem.

Everything in AE seems fine. All the frames are there.
It's a time lapse. So I did some edits, got it to the right speed, and now I want an H.264 1920x1080 file, so on to AME right?

It gives no warning, but shows me the missing frame color bars. In preferences there I also have "don't encode sources containing offline media" checked and it renders anyway.
It's as if Media Encoder is looking at the image, and actually Seeing it as color bars, and not missing. Like, AfterEffects is reporting the image as color bars instead of saying it's missing. No idea.

This has happened a few times, with just a couple pieces though. Premiere seems to also report missing files that aren't missing. Then I'll render again after closing things up and trying again, and it works.

No luck this time.

Any advice on fixing this? This is all on a local drive too. I don't need advice on how to do a workaround either. I can get it rendered by rendering frames in after effects, then importing those as a sequence. I'm no dummy. But since this is happening somewhat frequently, I'd like to figure it out.

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
Re: Missing files not missing, but missing in AME
on May 3, 2016 at 3:24:49 pm

Of course, Right after posting I decided to try one more thing. I just took my comp, and created a new comp from that.

No color bars. This has Got to be a bug. I didn't do anything else.

Return to posts index

Lisa Bradley
on May 4, 2016 at 6:17:34 pm

Did you clean your cache/render files?

Lisa Bradley
Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on May 4, 2016 at 6:27:32 pm

no, that could be it I guess.
I Did notice that in AME I had "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible" checked instead of saving in the dedicated SSD I have for cache files. I at least unchecked that, so in the future those should be a bit faster.

I do periodically clear AE's cache though. Did you know if you update to a new version it keeps all your cache files and you can't remove them without manually deleting them? That seems like a Huge oversight on Adobe's part. If you aren't going to delete them, or migrate them for me when upgrading, then you should give me a tool to remove previous version caches from the new version. I get why not automatically do it though, I think. Probably because if they really F up, then you can roll back to the previous version and you still have access to those cache files.

Anyway, I'll see if clearing the cache helps next time this happens. It happens more often than I would like, that's for sure. Something similar happens occasionally in Premier as well. But there, usually restarting or something like that fixes it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]