FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why don't shapes to play nice between Cloud apps?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Neil
Why don't shapes to play nice between Cloud apps?
on Apr 29, 2016 at 6:22:11 pm

I built a logo in photoshop as a shape layer. As such I can add fill and stroke to it and they stay vector. If I import this shape into AE as a comp with editable layers, I get a masked solid color. Why isnt' it converted into a shape layer? And if the shape I built in PS has a stroke applied, it comes in as...I don't know what it is exactly. It's a PS layer and it has a mask applied, but the mask doesn't affect the layer at all. I can delete the mask and it doesn't change the layer. I appears to be vector, but I can't make changes to the stroke or anything else about the shape. It just is.

Also, if I open a PSD with shape layers in Illustrator (which is all about vectors), it comes in as a flattened image. It'll take the shape layers and flatten them into a single layer with no editable features. But if I copy/paste from PS to Illustrator, I get a fully editable compound path.

I don't understand why this is so complicated. Why can I copy/paste shapes into illustrator, but it can't just see a shape layer from a psd and import it the same? Why doesn't AE import vector shapes as shape layers (now that it has shape layers) so I can edit the points, the fill, and the stroke? Am I just doing something wrong?

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why don't shapes to play nice between Cloud apps?
on Apr 29, 2016 at 10:10:18 pm

I recommend building the logo in Illustrator, where you won't encounter this.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 29, 2016 at 10:45:09 pm

Well, certainly that's the answer to the workflow. Although it's poor solace for those of us who aren't experienced or fluent in Illustrator. But it doesn't really answer the question of why these problems exist in programs that come in a suite, presumably because they're supposed to work well with each other.

I'm not naive. I get that there are things that are handled differently between programs, or don't translate well. But if you were Adobe, would you have 3 different ways of handling vector shapes, one for each program? Or would you try to consolidate the feature so that they are essentially transferable between programs? It seems a no brainer to me. If there's a good reason it's this way, I'd love to hear it.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 29, 2016 at 11:11:26 pm

A lot of Adobe's big apps were purchased from other software developers; for example AE was a CoSA product. They bought Premiere, too. Different developers. Different data structures. Different ways of thinking. And a lot of the basic code wasn't re-written.

Adobe's trying to bring AE's basic code from its roots in the '90's into the twenty-first century. It ain't easy for a team of just 12 people, and it's very often painful for the user.

Photoshop is what got Adobe started. I don't know if they bought Illustrator from someone else. I think they did. So the fact that AE, Photoshop and Illustrator can work together AT ALL is something of a software tour de force.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]