FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice/Reference for creating concepts for marketing as a Motion Designer.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Worsham
Advice/Reference for creating concepts for marketing as a Motion Designer.
on Apr 29, 2016 at 4:11:25 pm

Hi Guys,

This may seem like a broad question, but its very much about growing as a motion designer and I could really use some advice.

I am a the sole Motion Designer for a start up. Which means I have a lot of responsibilities (and most days little to no help from my senior designers). I mainly do product design(UX/UI for mobile), but occasionally I will be asked to help create an ad for a give away, a promotion, or sweepstakes within the app. We have brand guidelines, but I am being told that the ads are boring because they are starting to all look the same.
From a motion designers perspective, I am having trouble concepting an ad that is new every time, that isn't always text animating in and out, but still looks professional. The advice I am getting from my boss (who isn't a designer) is it needs to be "Fun"...

I suppose I need help finding a voice or some reference of marketing froma a motion designers perspective. I need to make something creative and new while still staying within reach of our brand. Some designs need to be all graphics and others to include illustrations or footage.

Im feeling like a fraud right about now and could use a pep talk.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Advice/Reference for creating concepts for marketing as a Motion Designer.
on Apr 29, 2016 at 5:15:39 pm

[Evan Worsham] "concepting an ad that is new every time"

[Evan Worsham] "it needs to be "Fun".."

[Evan Worsham] "make something creative and new while still staying within reach of our brand"

[Evan Worsham] "Im feeling like a fraud right about now and could use a pep talk"

You can do it! It's the hardest part of the job. I struggle with that every single day. I just finished a mograph-thing for a customer. I used color schemes, and I used their brand colors in contrastive pallets. They were all: "We hate this. We know you used our colors, but we want it to be high end." Haha! What can you do? So I turned everything to a white background with gray text (rgb=150,150,150). They were all: "We love it!"

I feel that in a perfect workflow we need script, moodboard, storyboard, budget, and timeline. If these things are missing as a formal deliverable, the PROCESS by which the millions of decisions get made is still baked into the project timeline. It's a process of trial and error. Iteration and critique. Contemplation and decision. Regardless if anyone is watching over our shoulder. It may help you, or at least give it a try, to change your deliverable around. Instead of making a "fun" motion graphic piece deliver first a moodboard, storyboard, script, budget, timeline. You might spend a couple of hours on each of these. Imagine, you take a moodboard to your boss. You're all: "Hey boss, to me this is 'fun.' What do you think?" And you hand him a print out of color schemes, typography, graphics. She or he can say: "I hate blue." or "I hate garamond italics." Or she or he might say "Use Comic sans and make it bounce because damn it that's fun!" At least in this way, you're able to begin a dialogue way before you've gone into the weeds on keyframing, and so on.

For me, one big source of inspiration is the world around me. I use the Adobe Color app all the time. I take pictures of stuff (anything) and then "grab" the color scheme, shape, vector path -- all kinds of stuff.

I also am a big believer in expanding skills. Sites like cow and lynda have lots of tutorials to wade through and make your own. One thing to really master in AE is the camera layer and some basic expressions -- if you haven't already.

Last but not least: I read read read for inspiration. There is so much out there to be inspired by. I'm reading Marx's Capital right now. Holy crap that's a mind-stretching read. I read children's stories to my kids every day. I pay really close attention to some talented people (IMO) here on the Cow, especially: Dan Ebberts, Walter Soyka, and Mark Suszko (and of course Bob Zelin). For example, Mr. Ebberts ability to script blows my mind. I am starting a series of training videos for my local County and will use Mr. Soyka's integration between Premiere and AE for titles; his way of organizing and explaining development has helped me organize my workflow. Mr. Suszko has some amazing abilities to craft a clever story. Mr. Zelin is a wise innovator with a particular rhetorical style. I find a lot of very good discussions in the Apple FCPX or Not debate forum that inspire me.

You're not a fraud!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]