FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE - One Composition with different framerates - 59,94 fps and 25 fps and Twixtor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Barry
AE - One Composition with different framerates - 59,94 fps and 25 fps and Twixtor
on Apr 28, 2016 at 11:39:12 am

Hi there!
First of all I need to tell you that I'm a noob working with AE!:-)

I have a big problem and i searched the whole internet for a solution but i can't find one.
We recently shot a music video.Some footage is shot in 59,94 fps because we wanted to use twixtor for Slow motion.This works very well!The rest of the footage was shot in 25 fps.So here is my problem:

How do i combine the footage in one composition?When i try to set the composition settings to 25 fps, the 25fps footage looks nice but the slomo isn't as good as before...it loses much smoothness.And when i use 59.94 as the composition setting, the slomo looks very nice but 25 fps footage looks bad.
I really don't know what to do.
I tried to convert the 59,94 to fps with twixtor but this doesn't work.Try to interpret footage...doesn't work.:-(

Is there any possible way to solve this?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE - One Composition with different framerates - 59,94 fps and 25 fps and Twixtor
on Apr 28, 2016 at 4:08:39 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:33:12 pm

If you shot the 59.94 stuff ONLY for slo-mo you can CONFORM the frame rate of clips. Here's how:

Highlight one clip, then go File>Interpret>Main. Change the frame rate to 25. In the interpretation settings, remember the interpretation. Highlight the other clips, do the interpretation thing again, and apply the interpretation.

Your 59.94 clips are now at 25. The motion will be a little more than twice as slow as it originally was. And it will work just fine in a 25 comp.

No need for Twixtor, which is used to CONVERT frame rates. Converting means adopting a new frame rate for a clip without affecting its duration. Conforming means forcing a clip to assume a new frame, and ignores its duration... which in your case, is what you want. You're making the clip run longer, which means the motion is slower.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE - One Composition with different framerates - 59,94 fps and 25 fps and Twixtor
on Apr 28, 2016 at 4:47:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:33:55 pm

If you shot the 59.94 stuff ONLY for slo-mo you can CONFORM the frame rate of clips. Here's how:

Highlight one clip in the project window, then go File>Interpret>Main. Change the frame rate to 25. In the interpretation settings, remember the interpretation. Highlight the other clips, do the File>Interpret>Main thing again, and apply the interpretation.

Your 59.94 clips are now at 25. The motion will be a little more than twice as slow as it originally was. And it will work just fine in a 25 comp.

No need for Twixtor, which is used to CONVERT frame rates. Converting means adopting a new frame rate for a clip without affecting its duration. Conforming means forcing a clip to assume a new frame, and ignores its duration... which in your case, is what you want. You're making the clip run longer, which means the motion is slower.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steven Barry
on Apr 28, 2016 at 6:28:44 pm

First of all thank you Dave for your quick reply ☺!Yes I use the 59,94 only for slomo!
So if I understand you correctly..I need to change the 59,94 to 25 fps by interpretIng the footage and I need to do this in a 25 fps composition?

But will I get the same result as with twixtor? Because I slowed the footage down to 30% and this looks great!could I achieve the same effect with the interpretation?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 28, 2016 at 7:55:40 pm

You don't do this in the comp. You do it in the project pane. It changes NOTHING about the footage except the frame rate.

Why fool with Twixtor, which 1)takes time and 2) alters pixels? You don't have to do it. Just conform the footage to the new frame rate and leave the footage pristine. Not to mention it's faster.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steven Barry
on Apr 28, 2016 at 8:43:03 pm

Thanks again!I know that this can be done on the left side in the project pane.But I used twixtor because you can control how much you want your footage to be slowed down...in my case 30% of the original speed is what I need.could this be done with the interpret method too?as I understand the percentage is fixed when you interprete the footage...or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 28, 2016 at 9:31:19 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 28, 2016 at 10:13:12 pm

Nope, you've got to use Twixtor to get PRECISELY 30%. Wish I'd known that from the get-go.

However -- having just done the arithmetic -- if you conform 59.94 to 25 you'll come within a percentage point of 30%. Too bad you didn't shoot 60fps -- you could hit have hit it right on the money at 30% with conforming.

But, hey -- if you want to use Twixtor, knock yourself out. I personally don't see the need for it. It's slo-mo, y'know? It's not like you can sync sound to it or anything.

...unless there's something ELSE going on you haven't mentioned.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steven Barry
on Apr 29, 2016 at 5:17:42 pm

So i went home and tried it the interpreting way...
Indeed you will get slowmotion, but unfortunately it isn't the same.It looks way different when you slow down the material at 59,94 fps.It is just way smoother and good looking when you do it with twixtor.And that's my problem!Maybe it is not possible to use twixtor with 59,94 fps footage and then combine it with 25 fps footage in a 25fps composition, without loosing quality or smoothness of the slowmotion :-(
But thanks for your help Dave!

Return to posts index

Steven Barry
on Apr 30, 2016 at 1:31:00 am

Hey Dave...I talked to a friend of mine yesterday and I think I know now what my problem is ☺...I think I had problems to explain it right!What I mean is, if I slow my 59,94 footage down,doesn't matter with wich plugin and i Export it at the same framerate...the result(for example an avi file in 59,94 fps) looks really nice.But if I convert(interpret)the 59,94 to 25 fps and export into 25 fps,the result is not as nice as at 59,94!that is my problem,because I don't know how to get the same smooth slomo at 59,94 and then combine this with the 25 fps footage!I hope this was I little bit easier to understan☺

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 2, 2016 at 5:06:02 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 2, 2016 at 5:43:19 pm

Sorry, that didn't help one bit. Lemme 'splain how slo-mo has traditionally worked.....

When movie makers in Days of Yore wanted slo-mo, they ran their cameras at a higher frame rate. Let's say 48 frames/sec instead of 24 frames/sec. Then, when they cut their 48fps footage together with their 24fps footage, and projected it at 24fps -- the frame rate for movies -- the motion of the 48fps stuff was half-speed. It looked slow, and it looked great.

Now, fast-forward to the present.

When you CONFORM 59.94 footage to 25fps for use in a 25fps AE comp, the motion, it's JUST LIKE projecting 48fps footage at 24fps. In your case, the motion should be almost exactly 2.5 times slower.. and it should look great, too,

There's only one fly in the ointment - your camera may not be capable of shooting 59.94 progressive. It may only be capable of shooting interlaced footage at 59.94. the footage may be 59.94i (which would actually be 29.97) and not 59.94p (which would actually be 59.94. If you shot interlaced, the footage would look worse when conformed to 25.

Thus, you need to learn more about your camera. Go back and read the instruction manual. Learn more about what you shot. Do the basic grunt work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]