FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dr. Who Slit Scan

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kk Akuoku
Dr. Who Slit Scan
on Apr 21, 2016 at 8:36:16 pm

Late last night, I landed upon what could be the perfect example of creating Tom Baker-era Dr. Who credits in AE. On the page, the guy explained how he managed to pull it off with a picture of tin foul, 3d circular outline masks and the Camera mode. He didn't exactly go into detail about this method,but I'm looking at the end result video right now and I feel mesmerized:

Can anyone out there who is adept at 3D layering decipher how this guy created this effect

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Dr. Who Slit Scan
on Apr 23, 2016 at 2:05:09 pm

I'm going to guess that he's used CC Cylinder. The vortex has a sharp edge to it at the beginning and end. The distortion looks about right too.

I'm not sure what '3d circular outline masks' are. Wouldn't a 3D circle be a sphere :)

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films
http://shiveringcactus.wordpress.com/ - FX blog

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Apr 25, 2016 at 10:43:38 am

Great find :) Will have to try something like this myself, I feel like it could be automated with expressions to incrementally shift and scale the many layers, and/or some time-related fx...

Always wanted to try shooting some slitscan for real tho never had the time/money for film stock and the access to a 16mm rostrum camera at the same time back in Uni days :(

Can anyone out there who is adept at 3D layering decipher how this guy created this effect

Not sure what you mean by this, he explains in the link exactly how it was done and there's no 3D or after effects comp camera involved at all, just lots of 2d layers offset in time. It will probably make more sense if you just try to copy what he describes doing in the blog post, and also maybe read up on the original slitscan effect (most famously used by Doug Trumbull on 2001 a Space Odyssey) to get a clearer idea of the analog film effect this is recreating :)

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
on Apr 25, 2016 at 6:06:13 pm

Hey guys,

After VERY close study of this video, I think I managed to decipher how he made this effect. Basically, he pre-composed a 2d slit, turned into a 3D layer, copied+pasted it multiple times, and used the 3D Camera option with a wide angle lens (possibly a 24mm). I decided to apply this interpretation to my own work, which is currently nearing completion. When it's done, I'll post a new message with the finished product along with the video above so you can compare for yourselves.

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Apr 27, 2016 at 1:10:43 pm
Last Edited By Tim Drage on Apr 27, 2016 at 4:17:55 pm

EDIT: apologies, i'd misread something in the blog post, I was originally saying he wasn't using 3D but having another look he is using 3d layers, incrementally ofsetting each layer in Z space rather than scaling it. Still not 100% sure why, I feel like using a shape layer for the 'slit' mask and Continuously Rasterize/collapse transformations on everything would result in just as crisp edges etc.... tho i suppose perspective would be different vs using scale?. I'd have to try to get my head around it i think :) Anyway, I don't think the settings of his camera matter at all, probably would still work (tho not be controllable) with just 3D layers, probably just make a camera and fiddle with the zoom till it looks good? :)

however you do it, an expression with 'index -1' in there somewhere will automate the process somewhat :)

would be interesting to see your result, using a 3D camera seems like cheating tho since this is recreating a pre-CG analog film method of faking a 3d space :)

Here's more info on the original analog effect as used in 2001 A Space Odyssey, maybe will help you understand what's going on in this guy's AE experiment: http://www.underview.com/howscan.html

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Apr 28, 2016 at 9:34:28 am

Ah right, thinking about it more it's because normal scaling won't recreate the exponential scale of a camera zoom so wouldn't look like the original rostrum camera long exposure. If you wanted to keep it all 2D you could somehow use the exponential scale keyframe assistant I think, or Ease & Whiz? Or expressions like this: http://aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?p=2678&sid=9698ea3ca113f9c35854ad848f26...

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:14:40 pm

It honestly sounds like a good idea, Tim! The question is how do I go about using it?

Also, the slit scan is nearing completion and I will have a detailed post on how I achieved the look with the original inspiration video featured in my first post so you can contrast and compare.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]