FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any advice on how to approach this key?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fleury
Any advice on how to approach this key?
on Apr 19, 2016 at 11:49:56 am

And yes, the fabric is blowing all over the place. I see no possibility of not having a roto-fest but I thought I would check here first.

Primatte did a decent job but there is a ton of chatter left over.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Any advice on how to approach this key?
on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:12:29 pm

Oh, you poor guy. Two different shades of green isn't helping one bit.
Frankly, I'd grab the person who thought these were okay key shots and make him/her do it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Fleury
on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:54:27 pm

They know exactly how I feel about this! :)

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:34:06 pm

I see at least 4 shades of green. Key each shade as a separate layer. Not even primatte could do that in one go. Roto has a dechatter.

You could also try my colorizer that pushes all green into one color for a single key

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/976106

Return to posts index

David Fleury
on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:56:24 pm

Thought about stacking up key layers but then figured it would just be faster in the long run to just roto it. Thankfully these shots were not more than a few seconds long.

I will definitely try your template in the future though!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 29, 2016 at 2:33:15 am

i musta been drunk because that was wrong link!

color punch- enhance primary secondary colors

https://f1.creativecow.net/9925/9925

Just right click replace landscape.jpg with your own footage. If your footage resolution doesn't match the composition, you can use the free
http://aescripts.com/rd-compsetter/
and also make sure the adjustment layers right click set to comp size.

the controls layer has slider to adjust the tolerance and final output has a gamma layer to add back in lost gamma during the processing.

obviously if this was an actual plugin, most of this would be fully automatic :)

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Apr 20, 2016 at 12:54:23 pm

I have had some luck in situations like this by using Photoshop's LAB color mode with a curves layer to manipulate the green colors and make them "more similar." In this case, you'd change the "b" channel. Then use the color-manipulated video only for the mask. The helmet is still very similar in color to the background, so might need a mask of it's own.

If you are not familiar with LAB color mode, then the effort to learn is probably not worth it for this one job. Just go with multiple masks.

Jim

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 20, 2016 at 1:06:16 pm

nice to see you again Jim.
We're always approaching problems with the same solution. Yea, I guess photoshop video would also work. I was surprised how well my color punch works, i dragged the slider to 1000, and everything goes to 0,1,0 in HDR, perfect green for keyers.

I was also thinking why most keyers don't have dechatter support. only roto refine matte has it. I'm working on a template for that too, lol.

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Apr 20, 2016 at 1:54:12 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, we often seem to bump into each other with these somewhat odd problems. I've used several of your solutions in the past but can't recall ever using your color punch - we'll download it and add it to the arsenal.

I've gotten a reputation for fixing problem videos, frequently from local doc producers and wedding-video guys/gals. I often get some rather atrocious looking video where the first task is to try to determine exactly what is happening. (For instance, there's a small local church that, for a while, had a mixture of compact florescent, sodium-vapor, and incandescent lighting in the sanctuary area.)

Lately I've have been experimenting with Photoshop for solutions that aren't readily available in AE. Neither LAB color-mode nor the RAW filter are currently available for AE and I have been able to use them in Photoshop with very good results. I'll try to post a tutorial when I get the details worked out.

Jim
Colorburst Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]