FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duik tools character rigging- change position of limbs afterwards

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
Duik tools character rigging- change position of limbs afterwards
on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:28:53 pm

So I have used Duik tools (latest version 15 something) to rig a character. Nothing fancy. Just a normal guy standing around. I've got limbs which are ONE graphic each time: right leg, left leg, right arm, right arm...
I've used the Puppet Pin tool and set 3 puppet points on each limb like the shoulder of the arm, the forearm (middle of the arm where it bends) and the end of the arm where the wrist starts.
I've set those up and each time I've created a puppet pin I would click on "bone" in the Duik tools window. So I've rigged up my character- everything works nicely and smoothly but then I notice: I would love to move the position of my arm afterwards. So not just the position of the animation but the original position where its coming from. Is that even still possible or do I need to do all this in advance? Any advice IF I have to rig from scratch (in case it isnt possible to move stuff around anymore). I wouldn't know how to work with a null object (so that I can reposition my limbs afterwards) and the Duik tool. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sabrina Hochmuth
Re: Duik tools character rigging- change position of limbs afterwards
on Apr 18, 2016 at 2:19:56 am

Was asking that my self a while ago. Googled a lot....and i believe its not possible without breaking the ehole rig.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Apr 18, 2016 at 8:55:25 am

Thanks a lot anyways. So the answer is: there is no answer. I rather have such answers- knowing others have struggled as well- as no reply at all where I am like "why are people ignoring me?". Still I would say DUIK tools are the best possible way to rig something in AE or do you have any experience with any other tools or ways you have used? Are you German?

Return to posts index

Sabrina Hochmuth
on Apr 18, 2016 at 1:07:12 pm

>So the answer is: there is no answer. I rather have such answers- knowing others have struggled as well
Yes I tried a lot for probably a week, also asked people who are much more experienced in rigging. But it doesn't seems to be possible.

>Still I would say DUIK tools are the best possible way to rig something in AE or do you have any experience with any other tools or ways you have used?
I started with DUIK and actually still only know DUIK. Yes I think it's very powerful (hope I will soon find the time to do one of those very advanced tutorials, currently I use probably only 30 % of what it's capable of)

>Are you German?
Ja.

Return to posts index

John Jennette
on Apr 18, 2016 at 1:05:56 pm

Due to the scripting that is involved, you can't make any structural edits after rigging with DuIK. You can change colors, for example, but not anything that would affect the puppet mesh or bone structure.

I am a "keep-my-options-open" kind of animator myself, so planning everything ahead before jumping into AE is a challenge, but a necessary skill.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]