FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects anchor point - position - rotation problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Kober
After Effects anchor point - position - rotation problem
on Apr 13, 2016 at 8:18:55 am

Hi everybody. I hope somebody can help me. I want to animate a Steadycam in after effects. I need everything to be connected to the gimbal. So if the gimbal rotates, the hole thing rotates with it. So far so good. But i also wanted the gimbal to move on the y-axis up and down. the pole should stick to the rotation and rotate around the gimbals anchor point without changing its position on the y-axis. In other words, the gimbal should be able to slide along the pole and the pole should rotate around it.
Here's a file where i connected the pole-layer to the gimbal-layer. This is fine on the rotation side but not on the y-axis.
9973_steadyseite1.mov.zip

in this example i only connected the rotation of the pole-layer to the rotation values of the gimbal-layer...see for yourself :(
9974_steadyseite2.mov.zip

I searched alot but couldnt find a solution. Theres is a script called layer connect. I'm not sure if it would solve the problem but i wanted to make it without a script or plugin.

Thanks for your help in advance

Christian

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: After Effects anchor point - position - rotation problem
on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:04:53 pm

Here's my question before I try and fix the wrong thing: Why does the steadycam swing back and forth? Isn't the whole idea of a steadycam that it doesn't do that?

I would think that gimbal should be the main thing that moves, and that the steadycam itself would move very smoothly and slowly, if at all.

Return to posts index

Christian Kober
on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:27:21 pm

Of course you are right. The purpose of a steadycam is to avoid it. If it's not balanced correctly this kind of thing seems to appear. So it's just to show what happens if it's not properly balanced. But even if the pole isn't rotating, the problem still is the same. by connecting the pole to the gimbals anchorpoint, it is moving on the y-axis by moving the gimbal up or down, where it should stay put.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 13, 2016 at 8:15:23 pm

On your first example, you can just add the difference from your gimbal start position as it goes up and down to the anchor point of the pole.

Something like this (add to the pole's Anchor Point, I'm assuming the pole is linked to the gimbal):

gimbalY = thisComp.layer("gimbal").transform.position;
initialValue = gimbalY.valueAtTime(0);
[0, gimbalY[1]-initialValue[1]]

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Christian Kober
on Apr 14, 2016 at 5:54:52 am

thanks a lot. i will try this next week and tell you if it worked out the way i need it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]