FORUMS: list search recent posts

Light layer creates monstrously huge light controls

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Light layer creates monstrously huge light controls
on Apr 13, 2016 at 3:28:29 am

Not sure if the subject was clear enough. Basically when I add a light layer to a project, the controls to aim or resize or change the direction of the light are humongous. Even if I zoom out to 10% the control handles are way off screen so I can't grab them. Any ideas how to change the default size down to a manageable level?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Light layer creates monstrously huge light controls
on Apr 13, 2016 at 6:56:24 am

Maybe its a camera issue. What's your field of view set at?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 13, 2016 at 11:44:28 am

I don't see a field of view setting but my other settings on default are
Intensity: 100%
Cone Angle: 100%
Cone Feather: 50%
Radius: 500
Falloff Distance: 500

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 13, 2016 at 12:33:28 pm

EDIT: I lowered all of those settings and now the controls are back where they should be. However, like some other people have mentioned in an older thread, when I apply a light layer, the layer beneath it turns black. There's probably a solution out there so I'll just google it. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:27:54 pm

[Duke Sweden] "However, like some other people have mentioned in an older thread, when I apply a light layer, the layer beneath it turns black. "

When you use lights, you have to make sure the things you want to see are lit. Position the light carefully, point it in the right direction, and adjust the falloff as necessary. You can also set the material properties of a layer to "Accept Lights: Off" to allow the layer to self-illuminate.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 13, 2016 at 5:43:32 pm

Hi Walter. I did all that. When I turned accept lights off the image shows up but no matter where I positioned the lights there's no change. I'll keep playing with it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 13, 2016 at 5:48:52 pm

[Duke Sweden] "When I turned accept lights off the image shows up but no matter where I positioned the lights there's no change. I'll keep playing with it."

When Accept Lights is off, the layer will not be shaded by light.

When it's on, you need to make sure the light is actually near the layer and pointed at it for the layer to receive light. To successfully navigate 3D space, check out this link from the documentation:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/modifying-using-views.html#choo...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 13, 2016 at 9:15:49 pm

Yes, I know about using Top view, etc. Everything is positioned properly but all layers are showing as black. I even followed along with a really easy 6 minute tutorial on youtube that simply casts shadows from a text layer, and everything is black, both the text and the background solid, which I created with an orange color (text is red). The only way to get the layers to show is to turn off "Accepts Lights" which, of course means the light has no effect on the layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]