FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving from Mac to Windows creates unsupported media error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Gilmour
Saving from Mac to Windows creates unsupported media error
on Apr 7, 2016 at 2:56:44 pm

I can build a simple project on a windows, open and save it on a mac, then open it on a windows and it will produce several errors:

"After Effects Warning: Error with file: '\Volumes\Media_Drive\xxxxx.mov'.
"After Effects Error: File "xxxxx.mov" cannot be opened, it may be an unsupported format."

It will do this with everything, mov's, .mxf's, jpegs, png's, illustrator files, etc.

The worst part is it can't even be relinked via right clicking and selecting replace footage, that will produce the same errors. However I can find that assets, import it into the AE project and then alt+drag replace the media in the timeline, so I know the media type IS supported, but when the file comes from a Mac, AE thinks it isn't supported and I literally have to rebuild the project.

Anyone else have this issue or have a workaround for this?

Using latest Adobe CC, Windows 7, Mac El Capitan.

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
Re: Saving from Mac to Windows creates unsupported media error
on Apr 7, 2016 at 4:09:10 pm

I've figured out that I can save a project file as an XML, alter the file paths from Mac to Windows, and it will open perfectly fine in Windows. I'm working on a script to do this for me, but what a dumb work-around, there's got to be a better way to not run into this issue.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:59:58 pm

El Capitan is not Apple's most stellar effort. Same thing goes for AE CC 2015 for Adobe.

You might just have to update the Mac OS, and then by comparing all the numbers after the decimal point, check if you really DO have the latest update on the Mac. The Creative Cloud app will sometimes lie to you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Apr 7, 2016 at 9:47:59 pm

I don't think it's necessarily an El Capitan issue because I get the same issue when a file saved from Yosemite too.

My current bandaid is to open the .aep file, save an .aepx (XML) file, then run script on it that converts the filepath code to windows. That seems to do the trick for now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]