FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects slow ram previews - is it due to cpu or gpu

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Artur Zygmunt
After Effects slow ram previews - is it due to cpu or gpu
on Apr 6, 2016 at 2:52:51 am

Hi, I've got a dillema. I'm trying to figure out what would be the wizest choice for upgrating my hardware.

My biggest consideration is for After Effects for motion design (I'm doing video info products and want to enhance them with some nice text and icon animations). My requirements aren't very high and that's why I'm wandering whe the heck my system isn't giving me a good performance.

Here is what I got:
AMD FX-4300
24 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

(cuda cores enabled)

After some searching I came to the conclusion that it's my processor that drags the performance down the most. Am I right?

Thank you very much in advance for any thoughts :D

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: After Effects slow ram previews - is it due to cpu or gpu
on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:00:36 am

from what I can see, CPU is slower than old laptop processors. you would have to buy a new motherboard as well. perhaps you could keep the ram if you went for ddr3 mobo. If you don't use raytracing, element3d etc, Ae won't even use your GPU anyway so I wouldn't worry about that part. hard drive should be farely decent depending on what type of footage you use, sd,hd,uhd,4k,8k.

ok i was kidding about 8k :)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After Effects slow ram previews - is it due to cpu or gpu
on Apr 6, 2016 at 2:17:20 pm

[Chris Wright] "ok i was kidding about 8k"

You may be kidding, but Canon's coming to NAB this year with a big display of 8k cameras and screens to show the "next step in video and film", so...it's coming.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]