FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing detail on object in keying

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Avnish Singh
Losing detail on object in keying
on Mar 29, 2016 at 10:31:36 am

I have been trying to key out the greenscreen from the bg but there is a bright spot , when removed also eliminates the sword the guy is holding in this shot.
I have tried to use multiple keyers to eliminate it but end up losing details on the foreground object as well

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Losing detail on object in keying
on Mar 29, 2016 at 4:13:56 pm

It looks like the sword is reflecting green back into the camera. Did you try clip white? The green looks too bright. It shouldn't be more than 60 ire. It May Require Roto. I'll check it out today.

Return to posts index

Avnish Singh
on Mar 29, 2016 at 4:39:17 pm

I felt the same way, i tried to use clip white/black back and forth but the detail just wouldn't comeback.the person in the video is moving the sword too fast so sometimes when it blurs out it's not a big problem if the sword is not visible. My friend told me to try primatte keyer which didnt really make any difference though it did make it easy to remove some of the bright which eventually ended up removing some of the detail on the guy's Torso which matches the color of the bright spot which turns yellow-ish after keying it out.

I thought of using roto brush to which does a fine job apart from few areas where around the sword it just can't find pixels for the sword to mask around.

I also tried to mask out video in two halves so i can key out seperately
meaning, i tried to key out the bright spot seperately after creating a rectangular mask so it doesn't effect the guy or his uniform etc.
still same :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 29, 2016 at 5:04:35 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 29, 2016 at 5:10:27 pm

Sorry to have to say it, but that shot isn't very well lit.
  • There isn't sufficient distance between subject and background to allow for each to be lit separately, which reduces color spill and makes for easier keying.
  • There is a massive hot spot on the background -- the background should have flat lighting.
  • The background is far too bright for easy keying in Keylight. If the brightest part of the subject is at 100 units IRE, the background should be at 65-70 units IRE.

To salvage this shot, you may have to rely on Rotobrush, which is not intuitive to use (so read up on it and run tutorials)... and will probably take a lot of time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Avnish Singh
on Mar 29, 2016 at 5:36:48 pm

I feel you are absolutely right. It is the footage which isn't shot properly at all.
Perhaps I will go with what i have eventually

On another note , since i am just an apprentice , can i get some more info about IRE , like an article or something where i can learn more about shooting videos managing minimum illumination etc. And setting up different parameters while shooting a greenscreen footage ? I appreciate your help
TIA.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 29, 2016 at 5:47:41 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 29, 2016 at 5:49:21 pm

Do you have access to a waveform monitor when you shoot?
You can also learn a lot by googling "lighting for chroma key", "lighting for green screen", "Lighting for blue screen", etc.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Avnish Singh
on Mar 29, 2016 at 6:10:46 pm

Thanks a lot sir.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]