FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAM Preview

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Tucker
RAM Preview
on Mar 22, 2016 at 3:38:56 pm

Hello All,

I am having an issue with my RAM preview in After Effects. I have recently upgrade my original 4gb of RAM for 4 8gb of RAM. My application worked before but now whenever I try to RAM Preview is says "Playing from 0 of 223 Ram." It will run through but the image will be black. When the playhead is stationary, it will show the image of what it is supposed to be on. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted and messed around in setting in AE. I could have missed a setting since upgrading?
In my activity monitor on the iMac it shows that it is using 308.9 MB of memory, so it looks like the computer is reading the memory.
Are there any applications to check this sort of thing?

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: RAM Preview
on Mar 22, 2016 at 4:40:04 pm

Are you sure you've got your numbers right? It SOUNDS like you went from 4 to 32 gigs. But you're talking about 308 MEGS of RAM... which is woefully inadequate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Tucker
on Mar 22, 2016 at 4:47:45 pm

I did go from 4 to 32 gb. I just tried placing my old RAM back in to see if the RAM was an issue and still the same issue.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 22, 2016 at 4:49:29 pm

So AE's still showing 380 Megabytes of RAM or something like that? There are other issues going on in your machine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Tucker
on Mar 22, 2016 at 4:54:42 pm

Yeah. This didn't start happening until I replaced the RAM to 32gb.

I upgraded the RAM just because After Effects CC was going horribly slow on the Previews.

I just did a PRAM reset and it is still rebooting. I'll see if it that does anything but I doubt it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 22, 2016 at 5:44:51 pm

I fear something went amiss when the new RAM went in. This is out of the realm of AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 22, 2016 at 7:14:38 pm

Are you saying AE shows only a tiny amount of RAM is installed or only a tiny amount of RAM is being used? There's a big difference.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andrew Tucker
on Mar 22, 2016 at 7:20:56 pm

I don't know where to look for the RAM is installed on AE. I only know that when I press Preview, it shows 0 of 223 from RAM. When I open up the "About After Effects" it shows 1% of 32gb being used.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 22, 2016 at 7:40:39 pm

Okay, so After Effects does see your full 32 GB of RAM.

AE doesn't seem to be using it to cache your preview though, which is odd. Do your layers move off of the screen, by chance?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andrew Tucker
on Mar 22, 2016 at 7:42:18 pm

Nope. I've tried older project files and creating new project files and AE just won't find the 32gb.

I just did a diagnostics check and nothing came up.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 22, 2016 at 8:21:32 pm

And other applications do indeed see and and utilize the 32gigs, correct?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Tucker
on Mar 22, 2016 at 8:24:00 pm

At least from what it shows on the Activity Monitor. It recognizes the Memory and shows that they are using a small amount.

I'm just baffled that when I tried to place in my old RAM that it didn't work either.

I ran a diagnostics on the iMac and it didn't find anything wrong. It may be I have to call Apple and talk. Our IT is having a tough time figuring it out.

Return to posts index

Andrew Tucker
on Mar 23, 2016 at 7:47:46 pm

So I am embarrassed to say that I have figured out the solution to my issue.

Thinking that I had just replaced the RAM, I thought it was a much greater issue. It was actually in the Preview window. The Eyeball was not highlighted. I was so used to CS6 that I didn't even realize it could have been that.

I was doing a remote session with an Adobe Support person and they must not have noticed it either. They went to the preview panel and clicked on the "show masks" and it became unhighlighted. Then it smacked me in the face so I highlighted the eyeball and everything was back in working order.

Thank you for you assistance! Just another learning experience no matter how small.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 24, 2016 at 1:47:48 pm

Wow. I should have thought of that too! Thanks for sharing what the issue was. :)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]