FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create marker directly on the timeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phil largilliere
Create marker directly on the timeline
on Mar 21, 2016 at 2:39:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the code to create markers on the timeline.
By now, I'm creating marker on layers, like this :

myLayer.layer("Background").Marker.setValueAtTime(1,myMarker);

But this method doesn't work very well with my projects, because sometimes, layer "Background" doesn't exist, or it exist twice... I read everywhere that is impossible, but the script trigger can do it, so it can be possible in a way.

thanks for your help !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Create marker directly on the timeline
on Mar 21, 2016 at 2:49:13 pm

Making a marker on the composition timeline isn't like making a marker on a layer. You can make many, many markers on a layer. You are limited to ten markers on the timeline, labeled 0 - 9. They're intended for fast navigation to specific points on the timeline. They're intended to be re-used. They're quite finite but still useful... just not useful in the way you apparently want them to be.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

phil largilliere
on Mar 21, 2016 at 3:02:39 pm

Thanks Dave for your answer...

In fact, I just need to create one marker per comp on the timeline. By now, I have to create it manually on the 40 comps of my projects. They all need this information at different levels.

So I tried to create marker by a different way, but it's doesn't work well. Do you have any solution ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 21, 2016 at 3:27:09 pm

I can't think of one. There MIGHT be a script that can do it, but I don't know. In my experience the creation of any kind of marker is tied to the timeline cursor's position on the timeline... which implies having the comp open.
If there were a script for a marker, it would have to use either numeric input or position of the timeline cursor. That doesn't sound like a lot of time savings to me.
I'm sure you're aware that timeline markers in a comp are visible when you nest the comp. You may have to bite the bullet and start opening those nested comps to make markers.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 21, 2016 at 4:37:18 pm

Adding comp markers via scripting is not obvious, but not impossible either. You have to cheat a bit! With your target comp open and active, no layers selected, and the current time set to when you want to add the marker:

app.executeCommand(app.findMenuCommandId("Add Marker"));

This invokes the Add Marker command under the Layer menu.

Dave, you can add arbitrary comp markers (besides the 1-0 hotkey comp markers) this same way through the UI -- deselect all layers, Layer > Add marker. The hotkey is NumPadAsterisk. Personally, I prefer Alt+NumPadAsterisk, which adds a marker and options the dialog box that lets you rename it immediately.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

phil largilliere
on Mar 21, 2016 at 5:35:16 pm

Perfect Walter,

Thank you so much, it works perfectly well. Just a last question : how can I rename the marker ? By now, the marker is added with no number, and I would like it was named "1".

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 21, 2016 at 6:11:21 pm

Thanks! I learned something new today.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]