FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating an EKG Animation at a Specific Tempo

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Stauss
Creating an EKG Animation at a Specific Tempo
on Mar 18, 2016 at 2:11:38 am

I need to create a simple EKG animation that plays at a specific tempo (72bpm to be exact). It needs to remain constant for about ten minutes or so and everything I've tried tends to drift pretty quickly. The final video will be set to a click track, so it needs to be perfect. Any tricks on how to do it? Is there a template or something out there that I could use? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Creating an EKG Animation at a Specific Tempo
on Mar 18, 2016 at 7:30:47 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Mar 18, 2016 at 7:35:59 am

Tie it to the comp time with an expression. (time/60*72) % 1 would be 72 "beats" per minute.

For instance, applied to 2D Y-position you might use it this way:

[transform.position[0], 100*((time/60*72) % 1)]

Return to posts index

Kevin Stauss
on Mar 18, 2016 at 10:02:58 pm

I got the gist of this, but I'm not sure how to adapt it to my project. I currently have a path of my EKG drawn with a Stroke effect on it to make it act like a real EKG. Where should I go from there?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 19, 2016 at 8:49:21 pm

Make an animation that is ten seconds long. Have your EKG animation happen twelve times in that ten seconds. Loop that animation as long as you need. If my math is right, that should work.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Mar 20, 2016 at 7:34:32 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Mar 20, 2016 at 7:44:39 am

What kind of look are you going for?

For instance, if you want the stroke to be drawn on 72 times a minute, you would use an expression on the "end" value of the stroke:

100*((time/60*72) % 1)

A more usual EKG displays several beats and runs across the screen rather than draws on. For that you'd need to sync the speed the graph moves to the time, and that depends on the scale of the graph. You can use motion tile to generate a repetitive graph if you draw a single graph segment to the full width of the layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]