FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating a Dot along an animated path.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ira Pietojo
Animating a Dot along an animated path.
on Mar 16, 2016 at 8:50:01 pm

Hello, I have what I think is a pretty simple animation but I'm having difficulties trying to animate it without doing it almost frame by frame.

So I have this animation/frame:

apologies for the very crude drawing, wrist brace. So that red dot is moving from left to right along the black wave line. This black line also continues to move and undulate up and down as a wave, so it is never the same shape.

My current set up is that I have the wave created using a Shape layer (because I need to be able to change the dash-lines/height/stroke look on it, and using a Mask Path + stroke doesn't really give me that much of an option; unless there's something I missed), and I animate the path and just alternate between the up and down motion keyframes. Then I basically eyeball and hand-keyframe the movement of the red dot across.

Is there any way that does not require me to hand keyframe each of the moving dot?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Animating a Dot along an animated path.
on Mar 17, 2016 at 2:37:24 am

You might consider using a solid instead of a shape layer and applying Stroke to a mask. You can then use the same mask in the dot's position property, selecting all the position keyframes and moving them a little bit.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ira Pietojo
on Mar 17, 2016 at 5:19:25 pm

I've tried to do this method, but because the shape of the wave is also changing, the path that I copy paste into the dot's position property only works for that instance in time of that specific shape of the wave, and then does not follow the rest of the wave's movements :(

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 17, 2016 at 1:15:41 pm

Why don't you just use Text on Path, and use a period character? If you're not familiar with the feature, here's some info on it:
http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2007/05/after_effects_101_text_on_a_p...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ira Pietojo
on Mar 17, 2016 at 5:20:45 pm

:0! I haven't considered this at all. I will look into this method when I can. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]