FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lightnjng flash?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Fisherman
Lightnjng flash?
on Mar 14, 2016 at 9:23:12 pm

I was wondering how to create the light being emmitted from thunder in my video? Like when the lightning flashes it usually lights up the whole place, right? How would I do that?

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Lightnjng flash?
on Mar 15, 2016 at 8:24:44 am

You can use an adjustment layer with a curves adjustment for a bright flash look and animate the opacity of the adjustment layer to coincide with the flashes.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 15, 2016 at 8:36:53 am

You can use Levels to crush the whites and lighten the shadows with a photo filter to tint all in blue.
Depending on your shot you may need to do some roto and add harsh shadows to some objects to add to the illusion.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 15, 2016 at 11:29:44 am

So, is there a tutorial on this? I haven't been able to find one for that, but I guess to put it in simple terms, use levels to mess witht the whites and then use a photo filter (which I don't know where to find) and just mask out the parts that are hit with the light and the shadows?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Mar 15, 2016 at 7:18:30 pm

I usually use a light blue solid above all my other layers, set the transfer mode to Add, and make it flicker on and off quickly a few times.

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 15, 2016 at 7:58:31 pm

Wait, seriously? So just take the solid and animate the, the.....I don't know, what is it?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Mar 15, 2016 at 8:22:47 pm

Of course I was serious. These are all pretty basic After Effects concepts. I suggest starting here to get a cursory understanding of the software. It's a little dated now, but all the concepts are the same.

Then try here if you still need some help. Best of luck!

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 15, 2016 at 9:20:12 pm

I know what you're talking about. I just was out of my senses for a bit cause I had just woken up from a nap, but I get what you're saying now. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 15, 2016 at 9:51:18 pm

Actually,that just reminded me, wouldn't you have to mask out the areas that are hit by the flash? Not just flickering the entire solid? Or maybe I'm just thinking wrong......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]