Advanced Cloning using RotoBrush/Mocha for AfterEffects Tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mayank Kapri
Advanced Cloning using RotoBrush/Mocha for AfterEffects Tracking
on Mar 13, 2016 at 6:53:32 pm

Hello friends..

I am a musician and creative artist.

For the past 2 weeks I have been trying and failing in creating something like the embedded picture (He is Alaa Wardi, an awesome YouTuber/musician from the Middle East).

The desired end result is a music video in which the talent intends to portray himself and his clones playing different instruments, implying of course a real time music playing scenario.

I have shot the talent's different positions (clones) from a camera mounted on a still tripod (there is although some displacement in the camera position, which I am hoping can be dealt with. But that's a much lesser concern right now).

Coming to my major concern right now. The song is 3.40 minutes long. The talent has 10 instrumentalists (clones) which are also standing besides or behind each other. That makes the task quite tricky. I have never used the Rotoscoping technique, so this is why I am having a really hard time finding a solution to this issue.
I have tried using the RotoBrush tool in AE, but as obvious as it sounds, there are at least 6500 frames in each of the (clone) video. Rotoscoping using the RotoBrush is really becoming very hectic and painful to be done patiently.
I am also trying the Mocha AE tool, but again, the same issue with it- 10 relatively long videos of 6500+ frames each.

Could anyone please suggest me a way around this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Advanced Cloning using RotoBrush/Mocha for AfterEffects Tracking
on Mar 14, 2016 at 6:45:07 am

No suggestions. You are proceeding the way you should. I don't know why you chose to move the camera. You made it much more difficult to create the effect.
In terms of the effort involved you have painted yourself into a corner.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mayank Kapri
on Mar 14, 2016 at 6:12:25 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying. The moving of the camera was not intentional, really. It just so happened that the tripod got shaken up a tad bit every time I had to remove the memory card/battery from the camera, although I had taken enough precautions to have it firm at its desired place. The displacement is although a minor bit, I still understand that I am in a mess now. Like you said, I have painted myself in a corner.

Although I know I have possibly no other solution here than continuing with the RotoBrush tool; still as a last resort- can Mocha tracking be of any use here as an alternative to RotoBrush? As I mentioned earlier, this is my first Rotoscoping project. I found out from a YouTube video that if I track individual elements of the subject (here- moving body parts of the talent) I can also Rotoscope the subject without using the RotoBrush tool, which will supposedly take much longer time than the Mocha tracking. Is it so? Can I use the Mocha tracking tool in such a way?

Please forgive me for bombarding you with so many questions and a long text. I can't even tell you how much of a desperately important task this has become to me now. This HAS TO BE CONQUERED. lol

Thanks so much again for your time :)

Mayank

Musician, Creative Artist, Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2016 at 9:55:43 pm

I don't know how well Mocha would work on a clip that's almost 4 minutes long.

It will also be a challenge to get Rotobrush to work properly on such long clips. You may have to resort to segmenting your long clips into shorter sections -- an editing application would be good for this. It also would not hurt to transcode the clips into lossless or near lossless codecs for use in AE. I like Quicktime movies in Photo JPEG, Animation, PNG or ProRes 422 codecs for this task.

Since the clips are so long, I would make one AE project for each clip, and assemble everything in another project.

The slight movement of the camera may not be too big of an issue as long as you have a clean plate for the background.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mayank Kapri
Rendering issues
on Apr 4, 2016 at 6:00:00 am

Hi Dave,

I did a reshoot of all of my 12 clones, and was able to generate something like this-

As you said, it did require some brainwork, but I think I am quite satisfied with the end results.

What I am stuck at right now is Rendering. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been working on FCP X for a very long time. This is my first time ever using After Effects for any of my projects, so I am quite unaware of the hacks/tricks required for smooth running of AE.

As of now, I have faced the following issues while rendering-

1. The composition is 3.45 minutes long, and it is taking too long to render (about 28-36 hours).

2. This is the third time when I have experienced the rendering issue for the same composition. The rendering stops after 8 hours or so, stating that the memory (RAM) needs to be increased. OR- RAM preview needs 2 or more frames.

3. I can see that the rendered video is a huge file of size 20+ GBs (which I believe is supposed to be for further editing works on Premier Pro etc.). How can I achieve a much lesser sized file, without compromising on quality? Also to note is that - I wish to do further editing on the rendered video, in FinalCut Pro.

The plugins I have used for this composition are Primatte Keyer, a couple of AE stock color correction plugins and Red Giant's Warp Reflection plugin.
I am using AfterEffects CC-2015 on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro, i5 with 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD (Non SSD though). I am using an external hard-disk drive for the project files, while the rendered file is being saved on my MacBook HDD.

Have I done anything not right here? Can you please help me with this?

Much thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Mayank

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rendering issues
on Apr 4, 2016 at 2:55:10 pm

That looks nice! You're doing some intense compositing, so you should not be surprised by the long render time.

Since you use FCPX, you can export the individual performer shots in the ProRes 422 codec for use in AE. If the original footage is in mp4 or another highly-compressed camera acquistion codec, ProRes can speed up rendering in AE.

Likewise, you can render to ProRes 422 for use in FCPX, which might reduce the file size out of AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mayank Kapri
Re: Rendering issues
on Apr 4, 2016 at 6:43:36 pm

THANKS FOR RESPONDING, DAVE.

REALLY GLAD THAT YOU LIKED THE RESULT. I HAVE ALSO BEEN GETTING THE FOLLOWING ERROR WHILE RENDERING -

IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE, ANOTHER ERROR STATING- X# MB OF RAM REQUIRED / LOW MEMORY / INCREASE RAM, WHICH I SUPPOSE HAS BEEN A PAIN IN THE BUTT FOR CC-2015 USERS FOR SOME TIME NOW (I DID A LITTLE INTERNET RESEARCH BEFORE BRINGING THIS UP HERE)).

FOR THAT MATTER, I AM TRYING SPLITTING THE VIDEO INTO CHUNKS AND RENDERING THEM. BESIDES THAT, I AM ALSO CLEARING UP THE CACHE (PURGING) AND RESTARTING CLOSING AND RESTARTING AFTER EFFECTS FOR EACH RENDER. AS OF NOW, A 30 SECOND FIRST CHUNK HAS BEEN RENDERED WITHOUT ANY GLITCH. THIS WILL OF COURSE TAKE A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF TIME TO RENDER ALL THE CHUNKS, BUT I AM HOPING THAT THIS WILL DO THE JOB.

PLEASE FORGIVE THE USE OF THE CAPITALS. I HAVE KEPT THE SECOND CHUNK ON RENDER WITH CAPS LOCK ON RIGHT NOW . ( :D )

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR VALUABLE INSIGHTS :)

WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED, IF IT'S OK.

REGARDS,
MAYANK

Return to posts index

Mayank Kapri
on Mar 14, 2016 at 9:35:36 pm

Hi again, Dave.

After researching again, I found out that I would have totally avoided this mess had I used a green screen, rather than the actual shoot location in the background.

So now, I think the best thing to do would be to reshoot the whole sequence with a green screen in the backdrop. This would hopefully solve my purpose.

Am I right on this?

Best,
Mayank

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2016 at 9:58:02 pm

It might, but I STRONGLY recommend that you run tests to see if you can get an acceptable chroma key. It will also give you a chance to plan out the positions of your subject. Your project will take some good planning!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mayank Kapri
on Mar 17, 2016 at 5:56:33 pm

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am now looking into chroma keying. That looks much promising.

If you don't mind, I'd be glad to share the results if I make it till the end (which I will)..

Good day to you..

Mayank

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]