FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bending a shape throught space with a camera traveling [Advanced After Effects]

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Younes Annaki
Bending a shape throught space with a camera traveling [Advanced After Effects]
on Mar 12, 2016 at 12:47:31 pm

Hi, it's the first time that I'll post here and my first time ever on any forum, so I'm sorry if I don't know the system, jargon or anything else, I hope I'll be welcomed.

Subject:
I'm working on a project on After Effect CC and I need to create an arrow shouting through space (in Z axis) and as the arrow is going, with should follow it with a traveling effect like if we are riding it (our POV is the arrow POV), all is clear and easy until now but the twisted part is that the arrow needs to be a little bend (like if we are on a really huge surface, earth for example), so the arrow is technically flat but since it's over a huge surface it looks bend forward from our perspective. Those are the steps, first it will be a shooting we will see the arrow head then it will start to bend (in the Z axis always) one it's bend we will zoom into it to ride it so all what we will see is its horizon line now, then as we are traveling the camera in a bend motion we will arrive to the arrow head to hit a target.

I hope all of this does make sense, I hope I succeed at delivering the message, I really do need your help all, an opinion, consultation, a tip or anything, I've trying a lot since a month ago and I got a little limited in ideas, this where I need your help gentlemen, I need a new way of thinking.

I have already tried the new native bend option on AE CC, I have tried CC Cylinder, I have tried to break the arrow to 3 main parts to fake the looking but every time it doesn't give the feeling that we really want.

I'm asking for your help and solutions, Thank you very much !

P.S a solution without plugins is preferred since it will be a template but if the only way to do it is with a plugin it will be very welcomed, I can pre-render it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Bending a shape throught space with a camera traveling [Advanced After Effects]
on Mar 12, 2016 at 4:56:30 pm

Several options with a plugin:

Zaxwerks Serpentine does 3d arrows that can follow a 3d path
http://zaxwerks.com/3dserpentine

Mettle FreeForm Pro or ShapeShifter AE can give you the ability to create a 3d displaced shape (of an arrow in your case) and then bend that in 3d space.

If you want more precise solutions draw/create a storyboard with a few frames to better illustrate what you need and post them here.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Bending a shape throught space with a camera traveling [Advanced After Effects]
on Mar 13, 2016 at 8:09:41 am

Mesh warp?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]