FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hologram effect? (radial blur that pulls toward center)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Gruwier
Hologram effect? (radial blur that pulls toward center)
on Mar 8, 2016 at 8:54:01 am

I'm looking for a way to easily and dynamically create this hologram effect from Star Wars, where you have some volumetric looking light connecting the hologram with the projection source.

All the different variations of radial blur and shine I found create the blur outwards from center or equally in each direction, like this

Is there a blur or shine that pulls the blur towards the center instead? So all you'd have to do would be to duplicate the hologram, add the blur, then place the center position wherever you want the hologram to originate from? Like this, which I made by duplicating and scaling the blur comp.

Or can you think of any other way to create this effect? I need it to be dynamic, so it reacts to the color and content of the hologram.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Hologram effect? (radial blur that pulls toward center)
on Mar 9, 2016 at 2:12:11 pm

You can use CC Light Burst generated by a duplicate layer of your hologram image layer - play with the source location, intensity and ray length to get the projected hologram look. You would need to position that duplicate layer as a 3d layer in 3d space to match the angle and position of the projector source, precomp over a black layer that has comp size, and choose a Transfer mode for the precomp that best matches your needs (or use the free Red Giant Unmult). You will then comp your hologram image on top of the rays generated by CC Light Burst.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved