FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dynamic Link issue: Imported Premiere Sequence won't work in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Boutilier
Dynamic Link issue: Imported Premiere Sequence won't work in AE
on Mar 1, 2016 at 2:41:09 am

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the Dynamic Link capabilities of Premiere and AE CC and I'm trying to figure out if I've encountered their limitations or am simply experiencing a user error.

I have a Premiere sequence with two dynamically linked After Effects compositions in it. This works fine. I'm trying to use Dynamic Link to take this back into a new AE project for final colour grading, so I don't have to render it out again if I make any chances.

Using the file > import method, I can select the appropriate sequence and import into the AE project, and I can even review the sequence by double clicking on it. However, I cannot use it in a composition. When I drag it, I get the circle icon with the line through it. New Comp From Selection creates a new composition with nothing in it. Right click > Reload causes the sequence tile to disappear, but it otherwise remains the same.

Likewise, if I select everything in the Premiere timeline and 'Replace With After Effects Composition', the clips that are already dynamically linked appear offline in the new AE Project, and even the basic footage won't appear on the active camera viewer.

Any ideas? Is it not possible to import a Premiere sequence into AE with different AE compositions already inside it?

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Dynamic Link issue: Imported Premiere Sequence won't work in AE
on Mar 1, 2016 at 2:34:45 pm

[Joseph Boutilier] "I have a Premiere sequence with two dynamically linked After Effects compositions in it. This works fine. I'm trying to use Dynamic Link to take this back into a new AE project for final colour grading, so I don't have to render it out again if I make any chances."

You only get one level of dynamic link. You can use dynamic link to go from Ae > Pr (as you are here), but not from Ae > Pr > Ae (as you are attempting).

If you render and replace the dynamically-linked comps in Pr, they will become media files and you should be able to dynamically-link them back into Ae again.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]