FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to cycle through a set of strings in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Bentley
How to cycle through a set of strings in after effects
on Feb 25, 2016 at 6:37:36 pm

My apologies to the internet for duplication, but I realized the Cow might be a better place for this question than the Adobe Forums.

I've learned how to cycle a number (say from 1 to 100) within a text field using an expression and the slider effect. Is there a similar way to take a group of strings, maybe defined in a text document or Excel file, and then have those strings cycle through a text field in After Effects? Specifically, I'm thinking...
  • Create a text field in After Effects

• Define various text strings somewhere (text document? Excel file? Somewhere in After Effects?) For example: String 1: "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." String 2: "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." Etc., on down to say, 20 strings.

• Have a way to cycle those text strings (read: replace in place) from 1–20 when I set keyframes.

• Anyone know how to do something like this? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
    Re: How to cycle through a set of strings in after effects
    on Feb 25, 2016 at 9:27:40 pm

Actually, it looks like you got some great advice over there! :)

- The Great Szalam
    (The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Peter Bentley
    Re: How to cycle through a set of strings in after effects
    on Feb 25, 2016 at 10:19:46 pm

Yep. Thanks for your thoughts on that thread. I actually ended up creating a handful of layers in Illustrator that I cycle through by changing opacity in After Effects. But for this case Dave's solution probably would have been the best: just create keyframes on the text field's source text and cycle through in that way since text changes create hold keyframes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]