FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does AE CC 2015 RAM Preview work fine on one computer and not on another?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noah campeau
Why does AE CC 2015 RAM Preview work fine on one computer and not on another?
on Feb 16, 2016 at 2:04:23 pm

Hi All

So I know this is hot topic at the moment, and maybe this has already been answered, but to be honest, I don't have time to go searching for the answer!

Basically I can't work on the same project, on the same version of AE on different machines. Its a bit ridiculous!

AE works fine on this machine:
iMac 27' Late 2012
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB
3TB Fusion Drive

AE is unusable on this machine: (Awful ram preview, frame rate lags, audio crackles and jumps around)
iMac Retina 27' Late 2014
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32GB ram
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB
250GB SSD

A the moment, when using the retina machine, Im caching my project onto the local SSD rather than using an external. Perhaps AE doesn't like this? maybe 250GB isn't big enough to keep it happy? Or theres a conflict with the graphics card? These are the only things I can think of. Any advise/insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Why does AE CC 2015 RAM Preview work fine on one computer and not on another?
on Feb 16, 2016 at 2:21:36 pm

Same EXACT version of Ae? Same EXACT version of the OS?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

noah campeau
Re: Why does AE CC 2015 RAM Preview work fine on one computer and not on another?
on Feb 16, 2016 at 2:44:07 pm

imac 2012:
AE v13.7.0.124
Yosemite 10.10.3

Im not on the retina machine right now but the AE is the latest trial, so I presume its the same version. It is actually running El Capitain. Can confirm what version later

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Feb 16, 2016 at 3:16:17 pm

How much free space do you have on your SSD? It's possibly your graphics card as I've always heard recommendations for Nvidia, but I don't really know enough about that. Lack of space on your SSD could be a problem. Do you have other drives on that computer?

Return to posts index

noah campeau
on Feb 16, 2016 at 7:46:49 pm

El Captain 10.11.3

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 16, 2016 at 8:11:30 pm

[noah campeau] "El Captain 10.11.3"

"After Effects CC 2015 (13.5-13.7) has an incompatibility with a Mac OS X drawing API that changed in Mac OS X v10.11 (El Capitan) that causes the entire Timeline panel to be redrawn each time that only a subset of the panel should be redrawn—e.g., if only the preview time indicator should be redrawn because it is moving. This excessive redrawing can cause the effective frame rate of previews to drop below real-time speed. Apple and Adobe are working to address this issue. In the meantime, you can work around this issue by not showing the Timeline panel during previews; maximizing the Composition panel during previews with the accent grave (`) key is one good way to do this."

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/09/after-effects-ready-for-mac-os-...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

noah campeau
on Feb 16, 2016 at 8:54:36 pm

Thanks!

A guy on the Adobe forum suggested to have the render queue tab tucked away, which works (see screenshot)

Return to posts index

noah campeau
on Feb 16, 2016 at 8:47:33 pm

Thanks to a guy over on the Adobe forum, there is a solution...

The render queue window needs to be tucked down at the bottom!!! (see screenshot)

Not quite sure how adobe managed to f**k this one up!!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 16, 2016 at 9:20:50 pm

[noah campeau] "Not quite sure how adobe managed to f**k this one up!!"

I don't mean to apologize for Adobe or excuse Ae's poor performance here. This is a crummy situation for us all as users... but it's more complicated than that. Apple's fast OS updates are a moving target for developers.

In this case, the code to draw the UI on-screen that has worked perfectly on previous versions of OS X suddenly broke with El Capitan. Now Adobe and Apple have to work together to determine where the problem really lies.

If it's Adobe's problem, and if the change to drawing behavior is intentional on Apple's part, then Adobe clearly has to fix this issue, like, yesterday.

But if this is related to an Apple bug, the situation is harder for Adobe. Obviously they look like dopes for getting it wrong, but what do they do? Wait for Apple to fix the bug and let their application be broken until they do? Develop workarounds for the current different drawing behavior, depending on which version of OS X is running? What if adding that kind of complexity introduces more opportunities for bugs, and what if it just breaks again if Apple fixes the bug in the next release?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]