FORUMS: list search recent posts

removing background from old B&W footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rony Sokolov
removing background from old B&W footage
on Feb 13, 2016 at 7:27:09 pm

Hi,

I have several short clips from B&W old films. I need to remove the background of these clips. I'm new to AE, but have experience with softwares like FCP and Resolve. Downloaded AE few days ago and tried several things. Tried to use the Roto Brush tool to remove the background of my footage (without knowing much about it), but couldn't get satisfactory results (the outline keeps changing slightly). I attach a screenshot of the footage. My question here: is it possible? I'm willing to invest time and learn how to do it but would like to know if old footage, in general, is still workable (lower resolution- 640x480 and B&W).
If yes, I'd be grateful to get some tips here (maybe the Roto brush is not the right approach)
This is my main "task" for AE - pretty much determine if I purchase it or not.

Many thanks

Macbook Pro 10.9.5, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7.
Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: removing background from old B&W footage
on Feb 13, 2016 at 7:35:50 pm

You should be able to use Rotobrush. Don't try to use it intuitively. It's not pretty if you do. I encourage you to look up Rotobrush tutorials, especially those you find when you google "rotobrush resources". You'll find Adobe-friendly education. It may be on YouTube. But don't trust EVERY tutorial on YouTube; high school kids tend to miss details.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rony Sokolov
Re: removing background from old B&W footage
on Feb 13, 2016 at 7:45:46 pm

Thanks Dave :-)

Macbook Pro 10.9.5, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7.
Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]