FORUMS: list search recent posts

Floating icons background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maddoux
Floating icons background
on Feb 2, 2016 at 4:36:32 pm

Greetings All.
I am trying to find the most piratical way of dropping-in from above a series of 50 created icons and then floating in position covering the entire comp which will then be my background for the rest of the project. I really don't want to key-frame each icon into position.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tim

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
Re: Floating icons background
on Feb 2, 2016 at 5:05:56 pm

I think there's a script on aescripts.com to spread things out randomly in 3d space to start, but I'd put them where I want them all manually so they fill my background fairly evenly and in a pleasing manor. I'd do this by going into top view and just moving them around randomly in z-space, then go back to camera view and arrange their position and scale individually so they look nice.

Then you could link them all to a null and move the null up and down together. Or you could precompose all of them and turn on collapse transformations. Or you could select them all, press 'P', turn on keyframes, move the keyframes forward and move them all up, thus creating that keyframe for all of them at once. If you want them to come in randomly, you could to to animation>keyframe assistant>sequence layers.

Return to posts index

Tim Maddoux
on Feb 2, 2016 at 8:13:30 pm

Thank you so much Chris!
Exactly what I was looking for.
A combination of expressions and sequencing layers gave me the look I was going for.
Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Tim Maddoux
on Feb 2, 2016 at 9:05:05 pm

If I might continue with this same project but with a different effects question.
Now that I have all of my icons(layers) in position, I am going to have a logo bust through all of these icons from behind. I am trying to create an outward explosion of these icons as the logo passes through. I can create a look with Shatter but my desire is to do this with the icons intact and not break them up which Shatter does. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Feb 2, 2016 at 9:13:27 pm

You want to have one logo come flying through all the others, pushing them out of the way as it flies through?

I'm afraid the only real option there is to animate them by hand. I don't know your project or timing, but I might try to kinda hide the effect by having the new logo come flying through really fast and slam really big onto the screen (might increase your shutter angle to accentuate the effect of it flying in). I'd move a couple groups of logos outward in just the few frames it takes for the new logo to animate on to give the impression it's flying through them and pushing them out of the way. Then since it now covers most of those that were moving, I'd just add a few new logos flying out from behind it. The speed they all move is really just up to the timing of the project and personal taste.

I hope that makes sense and helps.

Return to posts index

Tim Maddoux
on Feb 2, 2016 at 9:16:28 pm

It does make sense and you understood perfectly.
Thank you once again Chris!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]