FORUMS: list search recent posts

Displace by Luma

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Bishop
Displace by Luma
on Feb 2, 2016 at 2:04:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've been using Trapcode Form to displace a solid based luminance information. The effect is pretty nice, but when the layer is heavily displaced it becomes apparent that it's made of PARTICLES rather than solid strings (they tear apart, showing gaps between the dots, and I can't add enough particles to change this).

What I've been wondering is if there are other ways to displace something (a path or solid, most likely) in Z space using luminance, either through expressions or a native AE plugin (ie. not Form, with which I have been experimenting for about a year).

Ideally I'd be able to displace a path in Z space using the brightness of an underlying layer's pixels. If anyone has any suggestions, thoughts or good banter, fire away!

Chris

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Displace by Luma
on Feb 2, 2016 at 5:12:30 pm

Trapcode Mir does displacement as well, and since it draws faces between the point, it remains a complete surface.

Return to posts index

Christopher Bishop
on Feb 2, 2016 at 5:17:54 pm

Hey Kalle,

I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a shot now.
Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 2, 2016 at 8:48:38 pm

Forge Freeform used to come free with AE and it did this. You have to buy it now though, so I'd try Mir first. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Christopher Bishop
on Feb 2, 2016 at 8:55:24 pm

Thanks for the advice Michael.

Turns out MIR is exactly what I needed.
Thanks to both of you for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]