FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turning on and off layers within a duplicated comp without effecting the original comp.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Gabriel
Turning on and off layers within a duplicated comp without effecting the original comp.
on Jan 27, 2016 at 12:47:11 am

Hi there,

I am creating a number of animated heads. When the lights are 'turned off' in the animation I want the eyes to be the only thing visible.
Where it is getting tricky is that the light comes down from the top as a cone shape and when the head moves left and right I want the head and eyes to be visible within the cone and only the eyes visible outside the cone.
I have attached an image of what I mean.
I have multiplied the comp and used extract on the top layer to show only the eyes but it doesn't look smooth.

Is there a way where I can have the same comp duplicated but be able to automate AE to turn on and off individual elements in one of the one comps without effecting the other?
I will be constantly updating the comps so by just turning the layers off and on within the comp will be a nightmare every time I need to change it.

I hope that makes sense. I had trouble trying to describe it in the subject.

Thanks.
David.

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
Re: Turning on and off layers within a duplicated comp without effecting the original comp.
on Jan 27, 2016 at 12:45:55 pm

I have a bit of a problem understanding. But couldn't you add an expression to the opacity?

Put a control layer with a checkbox control or just link the it's opacity? Inverting the opacity for layers that should be seen in Off mode?
...or is it more complicated than that

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

David Gabriel
Re: Turning on and off layers within a duplicated comp without effecting the original comp.
on Jan 27, 2016 at 1:16:25 pm

By the way, I do get what you mean by creating an expression for opacity and controlling that but I have the exact same comp twice in my main comp. I want to make the head invisible in one comp whilst keeping it visible in the other.
I personally don't think it is possible to do this but I guess I am also just searching for ways to leave the eyes only when the head leaves the 'light' area of my comp.

Return to posts index

David Gabriel
on Jan 27, 2016 at 1:09:36 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I don't think I explained it too well.
Have a look at the image I posted with the bit that says 'this is how I want it to look'.
To put it simply when the animated head is in the inner cone area (the light illustration) I want to be able to see the whole head. When it is out of the cone area I want to just see the eyes. These heads will be moving so they will be moving in and out of the 'light' (the cone area) with the head disappearing and reappearing.

I figured that if I had two of the exact same comps contains the animated heads and put the cone light illustration between the two comps that hopefully there would be someway to get rid of the rest of the head on the top comp (leaving just the eyes).

Because it is the exact same comp I am not sure if this is possible.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks again.

David.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 27, 2016 at 7:59:10 pm

Make two comps. Turn off all but the eyes in one comp (if you labeled your layers well, this won't take too long). Then use a track matte to reveal the one with the heads visible.

If you have to change the animation of the heads, simply copy and paste the new layers into the second comp and turn the heads off again.

Alternatively, use the copy with property links command so that any changes in one comp are reflected in the other. This will create a large number of expressions though and (depending on your computer) may slow it down a bit.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

David Gabriel
on Jan 27, 2016 at 11:15:54 pm

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the reply. Having two comps and then just deactivating the head (leaving the eyes only) in the top comp is definitely the way I think I will have to go. Now I have another problem where I have the eyes blinking from time to using shapes which are the same colour as the head for the eyelids.
I will have to track matte the eyelid / eyeballs instead but the problem with that is that the eyelids are in four different layers (top right, top left, lower right, lower left) which means I can't do a straight track matte in the comp.
I am going to have to create a sub comp with just the animated eyelids so I can use it as a track matte. With over 20 characters with different skin tones this is getting extremely complicated!

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
on Jan 28, 2016 at 9:38:45 am

It seems you have arrived at a valid solution, duplicating comps.
May I recommend a script which has helped out with complex compositions: "True Comp duplicator"

Duplicates compositions, its containing precomps and updates containing expressions!

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]